Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here. I was big into the mustang scene but I sold my GT because I need money for school. Anyways, I got an internship this summer in Madison, WI where I go to school. I need something that I can put a decent amount of stuff in, but I would really prefer to not get a truck haha. I'm also a big hunter, fisherman, etc. so I want something that I can take back in the woods or tow my boat with. Whatever I buy has to be very reliable. I'll be working long hours this summer and I'll NEED my vehicle every day. How are the TJs for reliability? I'm looking at a 4cyl right now to cut back on fuel cost. The few people I've talked to about them say they're bulletproof but you never really know. Right now this is probably my top choice:
Great 2001 Jeep Wrangler!!!
any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wouldn't say it's great on mph, with a lift and tires. The jeep isn't what u would call aerodynamic. Jeeps are good toys if u want something to work on. As long as u keep up with maint. It's like any other at u can run it for a very long time. It's a good hunting vehicle, I would get a rack for the hitch to put ur animals u kill on to keep the out of ur jeep. It says it has a locked rear. Is it a dana 35? What's the gear ratio and tire size? What lift? It's a good price but u might have to do stuff to it over time and I'm sure u know from ur mustang days it will all add up. Drive it for about 20 miles so it gets warm then look under the jeep or leaks. Don't drive with the radio on (u can do that after u buy it) and listen for odd noises. Test out the 4 wheel drive make sure t works. If its all good then it's a good buy.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Get the 4.0 I6. The I6 and I4 get about the same MPG. if your gonna be towing get the 4.0. How big of a boat? The TJ can tow up to 2000lbs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't say it's great on mph, with a lift and tires. The jeep isn't what u would call aerodynamic. Jeeps are good toys if u want something to work on. As long as u keep up with maint. It's like any other at u can run it for a very long time. It's a good hunting vehicle, I would get a rack for the hitch to put ur animals u kill on to keep the out of ur jeep. It says it has a locked rear. Is it a dana 35? What's the gear ratio and tire size? What lift? It's a good price but u might have to do stuff to it over time and I'm sure u know from ur mustang days it will all add up. Drive it for about 20 miles so it gets warm then look under the jeep or leaks. Don't drive with the radio on (u can do that after u buy it) and listen for odd noises. Test out the 4 wheel drive make sure t works. If its all good then it's a good buy.
Thanks! I realize that MPG won't be impressive at all but it would be better than the I6 with the same mods. I don't have the details on that stuff but I will ask the seller. I know that I will have to spend some money in maintenance over time, I just want to make sure that over the course of this summer I will have a vehicle I can rely on haha. I don't have a garage or any tools here so I'd have to go to a shop unfortunately.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If you were big into the mustang scene, you might not like the 4clyinder. Take it for a drive on the highway before you decide.
As far as gas mileage, it depends on speed. I just finished a long trip in my daughter's 4 cyl jeep, and the gas mileage really varied. At 50-55 mph, we got 20 mpg. at 60-65, we got about 17. and at 70+, we got a little better than 15 mpg. So if you don't mind driving 55, you will get better gas mileage than a 6cyl. If you drive 70 you will get worse gas mileage than the 6 cyl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were big into the mustang scene, you might not like the 4clyinder. Take it for a drive on the highway before you decide.
As far as gas mileage, it depends on speed. I just finished a long trip in my daughter's 4 cyl jeep, and the gas mileage really varied. At 50-55 mph, we got 20 mpg. at 60-65, we got about 17. and at 70+, we got a little better than 15 mpg. So if you don't mind driving 55, you will get better gas mileage than a 6cyl. If you drive 70 you will get worse gas mileage than the 6 cyl.
Thanks for the info! I'm not looking for speed at all as no jeep will ever compare to the mustang in that aspect. Plus I plan on getting back into another Mustang/other sports car next spring and keeping the Jeep as the DD. I'll look for an I6 but I'm really trying to keep it under 7k and as close to 100k miles as I can.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
If your plans are to haul anything, including passengers, the 4cyl just won't cut it. Tj's have pretty if not very reliable motors its all the other stuff you have to start looking at when they hit 100k and start getting up in age. My suggestion would be to get an suv or truck for your purposes. That said jeeps are probably the most fun you will ever have driving a vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your plans are to haul anything, including passengers, the 4cyl just won't cut it. Tj's have pretty if not very reliable motors its all the other stuff you have to start looking at when they hit 100k and start getting up in age. My suggestion would be to get an suv or truck for your purposes. That said jeeps are probably the most fun you will ever have driving a vehicle.
I know that a truck/SUV might be more practical but I'm a huge car person and I just can't see myself driving your average truck--just too plain for me. With the Jeep I could have a DD that's a blast to drive and still be able to get everything done that I need it to. I probably tow my boat like twice a summer. If it can't haul the boat then I always have my dad's tahoe

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
LS1-THIS said:
I know that a truck/SUV might be more practical but I'm a huge car person and I just can't see myself driving your average truck--just too plain for me. With the Jeep I could have a DD that's a blast to drive and still be able to get everything done that I need it to. I probably tow my boat like twice a summer. If it can't haul the boat then I always have my dad's tahoe
It'll tow it. It wont even know its there. But you'll be happier with the 4.0 . The 2.5 wont cut it especially if you plan on lifting it and putting bigger tires.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 4.0 and I hunt fish an tow my jet skis. They are fun little vehicles. I would say a 4.0 is better but a 4 cyl is fine for what u want to do. And trust me u will love the TJ they are great. Also u should know that the suspension on a TJ is nothin like ur mustang and the same for a manual tranny. It's not a sports car it's a different beast but u will be happy with it over all

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It'll tow it. It wont even know its there. But you'll be happier with the 4.0 . The 2.5 wont cut it especially if you plan on lifting it and putting bigger tires.
Ok I'll look into the 4.0. I'm kinda new to the whole lifted thing so what do you mean the 2.5 "won't cut it?" Is that just in terms of power? I really don't plan on doing off-road courses or anything. There's some rough trails on my hunting land that are really fun to screw around on but our FJ handled them completely fine when we had that. Basically, I'll be taking it on some muddy trails with a few small rocks but don't plan on climbing any hills or anything...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
LS1-THIS said:
Ok I'll look into the 4.0. I'm kinda new to the whole lifted thing so what do you mean the 2.5 "won't cut it?" Is that just in terms of power?.
2.5 Litter. 4 cylinder. Lol

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Lifting a vehicle usually entails throwing on larger tires, most commonly 33's. They are a great deal heavier and have a larger circumference which requires more torque to get them rolling...that's what the 2.5 doesn't have.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My I6 with 32" tires and a 2" BB (budget boost) gets around 13.5 MPG. Couple that with a small tank and your range is very limited. I have to fill up every 200 miles or so. I also did a small test this weekend and found that my odometer is off around 3-5% (the bigger tires do that), so I'll now have to take that into account when I'm doing my calculations.

My TJ is more of a toy for me, but I'm honestly contemplating selling my 09 A4 (why it still has some value) and using the Jeep as my DD until I figure out what I want to do... Might get a truck, might sell both and get a new JKU, I don't know.

All that said, the Jeep is the most fun I've ever had in a car/truck. If you can live with the gas mileage, you're all set.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would suggest the TJ 4.0 I6 auto, thats what I have. I put some of the same thought into getting a Wrangler and I'm glad I made the choice to get one. Its also nice not having everyone asking to use your truck to help move and haul stuff. I have 33'' tires and get 12-20mpg. Plus the extra power and torque is great for towing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My I6 with 32" tires and a 2" BB (budget boost) gets around 13.5 MPG. Couple that with a small tank and your range is very limited. I have to fill up every 200 miles or so. I also did a small test this weekend and found that my odometer is off around 3-5% (the bigger tires do that), so I'll now have to take that into account when I'm doing my calculations.

My TJ is more of a toy for me, but I'm honestly contemplating selling my 09 A4 (why it still has some value) and using the Jeep as my DD until I figure out what I want to do... Might get a truck, might sell both and get a new JKU, I don't know.

All that said, the Jeep is the most fun I've ever had in a car/truck. If you can live with the gas mileage, you're all set.
Well I'm already pretty accustomed to bad gas mileage--especially with the way I drove my Mustang. Besides, my only other option in this price range would be a Ranger and that really doesn't do much better on gas. I'd rather have something I'll enjoy, even if it gets a few MPG worse.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts