Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my first Jeep, a TJ, trying to gauge pricing.

Local dealer has 2001 Stock TJ Sport with I6, 100,000 miles. Pictures look good. Good soft top, seems relatively new. Interior looks good, no rips. Original stereo. Stock rims, stock size tires. Asking $8900.
Dealer is hour away so haven't looked up close yet but will do so soon.

Is this price reasonable? I know I should be able to talk the price down but how low should I expect to get it? Thanks for all the input in advance

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah that's not a bad price. Research research research all the wranglers for sale around you. You don't wanna grab the first one you see and then later see a rubicon for a little more two streets down

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
^yes, look at lots of them before you decide.

·
Registered
100 Posts
^^^^x2. Took me 4 months, test drove 6 different jeeps, and god knows how many walk arounds until I found the one that was right

·
Registered
440 Posts
^yes, look at lots of them before you decide.
X3 Look around and research. Also plan a little bit and get a little better knowledge of the TJ Wrangler. What are you looking to do with your Jeep? Any Offroading or Trails? If so how extreme are you looking to go?

These are questions that you need to ask that can save you money later. They will help you decide if the drivetrain components (engine, trans, TC, diff) suit your needs best.

Also what are you looking at carrying with you? you plan on taking kids or need a little extra room it might not be a bad idea to look for some LJ Unlimited models.

Also learn the difference in the models (SE, X, Sport, Sahara, Rubi)

Things to think about that might save you from having to upgrade and spend a lot of money later.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^i agree. I also would not buy anything modded because either it is sometimes a hack job or (in my case) took everything back to stock and went my own direction. Wished I would have looked for the forums before I bought mine...if you can afford it find a rubicon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The jeep would not be a daily driver. My only requirements are soft top, half doors and v6. My plan is top and doors off driving. Light off roading.
Plan is BB with 32's, bilstein 5100's but I sure other mods will follow

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
there are no V6 TJ's, best you can do is the 4.0L in-line 6 cylinder, which in my opinion is the best engine ever installed in any wrangler from any year.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Look under it see if it has alot of bent up parts or major scratches. I would buy it as stock as possible and do all the mods yourself. A lot of people cut corners and thats not real safe IMO.. Good luck i have owned mine for 10+ years and wouldnt dream of ever selling it! Happy trails

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try and locate one with Dana 44's since you are planing the bigger tires. I bought a 02 x model with 33's and currently in the process of replacing all the bearings and such. Look around right after I bought mine a rubi a few years newer surfaced for basically the same price. That being said I love my 02 x and would not traded it for anything . I might end up getting a JK but the TJ will stay in the family .

·
Commercial Member
831 Posts
The jeep would not be a daily driver. My only requirements are soft top, half doors and v6. My plan is top and doors off driving. Light off roading.
Plan is BB with 32's, bilstein 5100's but I sure other mods will follow
Keep in mind, a soft top is easily bought and put on while a hard top can easily be sold to make a profit.
Half doors are the same thing. You can easily trade full doors for half doors plus cash any day.
Do not look elsewhere if you find the 'right' Jeep that has full hard doors and a hard top. Those things are easily converted to what you want.
Pay more attention to the axles and gear ratio if you are planning on the bigger tires and possible off roading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts