Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and looking to buy a Wrangler with 4.0L manual trans. If it doesn't already have 33's or 35's, I'll probably put a small lift and little bigger tires on it.

Couple questions:
1. I've heard rust is an issue and should avoid in certain areas. Can anyone elaborate and give me a little advice when I'm going to look at them?
2. Is tire shake a big issue when going a little bigger on tires?
3. Any issues getting up to highway speed (70-80mph) with bigger tires and 4.0L? I've heard it's an issue with the 4cyl but wasn't sure about the I-6.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Check the frame near the rear upper control arms and along the transfercase skid plate. Bring a screw driver and a hammer, be aggressive and whack it to make sure it is not rusted thru. There is no reason a TJ cannot drive like it did brand new with larger tires. Make sure they are properly balanced and the alignment is good. I have 35s on my daily driver and aside from loosing a weight every now and then it steers straight and no wobbling. Stick with a 4.0. Mileage between both is comparable. With larger tires you will need a regear. That will help with highway speeds as well as offroad. I

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm new to the forum and looking to buy a Wrangler with 4.0L manual trans. If it doesn't already have 33's or 35's, I'll probably put a small lift and little bigger tires on it.

Couple questions:
1. I've heard rust is an issue and should avoid in certain areas. Can anyone elaborate and give me a little advice when I'm going to look at them?
2. Is tire shake a big issue when going a little bigger on tires?
3. Any issues getting up to highway speed (70-80mph) with bigger tires and 4.0L? I've heard it's an issue with the 4cyl but wasn't sure about the I-6.

Thanks all.
1) check the frame at the skid plate and around the control arm areas. bring a screwdriver or hammer on the frame. Other places to check are the body mount areas and torque boxes.
2) If it's setup properly there should be no issues going to bigger tires. But going bigger properly isn't cheap either
3) Lift and bigger tires will require a re-gear cost varies, no really sure what the cost of it is anymore

1 - 5 of 5 Posts