Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of driving compact sedans I decided I want a Jeep. Having a very hard time deciding whether I should just get a Sport or spend some extra money, so I'd love some input.

My main purpose for a Jeep is simply to cruise the coast with the top off, and take it to hiking and other nature areas. I don't plan on climbing rocks or going off the trail, but I'd like to at least get to hiking spots and go on established trails. In other words, I wouldn't use it specifically to conquer rough terrain, rather to get through it if required. I also plan on using it as a daily, since I don't have room for two vehicles.

To me Sport seems like the best option, being capable but not overkill, but I'm wondering if there are significant advantages to having a Rubicon that are worth the extra $9k to me. It drives me insane not to get the best of something and I'm worried that I'll feel remorse over not getting a Rubicon. This is why I need input. With what I plan to do with my Jeep, would an extra $9k worth of fanciness even make a difference?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was in the same situation last month and decided to get the Sahara. Knowing that I was going to keep it long-term, I thought the extra cost from the Sport would be worth it in the long run as I would definitely miss not having some features that make the Jeep more comfortable (satellite radio, power doors/mirrors, nicer wheels, A/C, and I like the painted fenders).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Look at some videos on Youtube of the amazing things a sport can do...Things you would need lockers for on previous generations of Wranglers so imo unless you are going to do extreme rock crawling or run 37's or larger tires then I doubt you would need lockers or a dana 44 up front.

The BLD (brake lock differentials) is part of all JK's traction control system and it will apply brakes to the spinning wheel allowing the wheel with grip to turn at the same speed. In Jeeps own words "it will allow the Jk to go most places a similar vehicle with mechanical lockers can go". Mind you the BLD's are not as refined as mechanical lockers but do a great job none the less.

For the light to moderate off roading I've done I have yet to be in a situation where I wished i had mechanical lockers.

·
Registered
430 Posts
lydia for your purposes a Rubicon is not needed.
The options you prefer will in part dictate the package you should order.
Be it Sport Basic, Sport S or Sahara.
3.73 gearing IMO is a must unless your planning on staying to the smaller 16" wheels.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I'm like you but really loved black wheels and wanted 3.73 gearing, so it led me to a Willys Sport. Saved a couple grand off a Rubicon that has features that would be awesome, but not necessary in my early Jeep life.

Love my Willys

·
Registered
247 Posts
After years of driving compact sedans I decided I want a Jeep. Having a very hard time deciding whether I should just get a Sport or spend some extra money, so I'd love some input.

My main purpose for a Jeep is simply to cruise the coast with the top off, and take it to hiking and other nature areas. I don't plan on climbing rocks or going off the trail, but I'd like to at least get to hiking spots and go on established trails. In other words, I wouldn't use it specifically to conquer rough terrain, rather to get through it if required. I also plan on using it as a daily, since I don't have room for two vehicles.

To me Sport seems like the best option, being capable but not overkill, but I'm wondering if there are significant advantages to having a Rubicon that are worth the extra $9k to me. It drives me insane not to get the best of something and I'm worried that I'll feel remorse over not getting a Rubicon. This is why I need input. With what I plan to do with my Jeep, would an extra $9k worth of fanciness even make a difference?
The Sport is more capable than most SUV's in general so you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was in the same situation last month and decided to get the Sahara. Knowing that I was going to keep it long-term, I thought the extra cost from the Sport would be worth it in the long run as I would definitely miss not having some features that make the Jeep more comfortable (satellite radio, power doors/mirrors, nicer wheels, A/C, and I like the painted fenders).
The sport/sport s can be optioned with everything you mentioned except for the painted fenders.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm like you but really loved black wheels and wanted 3.73 gearing, so it led me to a Willys Sport. Saved a couple grand off a Rubicon that has features that would be awesome, but not necessary in my early Jeep life.

Love my Willys
Have a look at the new X model as well. It's basically a Sahara with just a little Rubicon thrown in. And black wheels. ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
My vote is the WW. It's a cheaper Sport S with 3.73's, it's definitely what I would have gone for if they were available at the time. They are extremely capable offroad in all but the most extreme situations.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
My vote is the WW. It's a cheaper Sport S with 3.73's, it's definitely what I would have gone for if they were available at the time. They are extremely capable offroad in all but the most extreme situations.
+1. Willys is bang for the buck At the moment.

Sport will get you anywhere a human should go :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
I toiled with choosing between a Rubicon and a Sport. My budget was set for a jkur but after comparing it with the Sport S and what I do with it (wheeling weekends on modest trails and a dd) it made more common sense going with the Sport S. I had a Rubicon prior to my current 15 Sport S doing the same activities. Most of the people I see driving Rubicon's in my area purchase because of the badge.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
For your purposes, any of the non Rubicons will do. Just a matter of looks, cost, and options.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I really love my premium soft top and the upgraded Alpine Audio, and would highly recommend that as well. I added those along with the Supp airbags and have been very happy since.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Sport will get you anywhere a human should go :p
+2 Look into a Willys wheeler.
I was going to get a Sport with just A/C until I saw the WW jeep. Game over at that point. I got my WW with A/C and upgrade on the Radio. Was well under 30 and I love its looks and ride.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have a look at the new X model as well. It's basically a Sahara with just a little Rubicon thrown in. And black wheels. ;)
If you are looking for the X, better look quick. They are no longer making it, replaced with 2015 Altitude edition. You can still find on dealer lots, but cannot order one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you are just getting a cruiser that will never see rocks, just gravel and sand, I would go with a sport. It seems like the sahara can get you nav, leather, etc and the rubicon can get you all of that and the better axles, discos, etc for offroading. I have driven in sports and they are no slouches off road even in stock trim, if I were you and didnt care about leather and all the fancy options I would go with a sport. If you want to spend more get a 4 door, their resale value seems to be incredible...

·
Registered
621 Posts

Sport will get you anywhere a human should go
+2 Look into a Willys wheeler.
I was going to get a Sport with just A/C until I saw the WW jeep. Game over at that point. I got my WW with A/C and upgrade on the Radio. Was well under 30 and I love its looks and ride.
^^^ This ^^^

I spent a lot of time tweaking the specs on a Sport or Sport S, adding the options that I wanted. Then someone here on the Forum pointed out that most of the options I added to the Sport came standard on the Willys, plus a few others that aren't even available on the Sport, so I took a closer look and I was sold.

I really wanted a fairly simple but capable package. The Willys is no-frills, which is really what I wanted. I don't really care for power windows and locks, heated seats, climate control or any of the other plush niceties you pay for with the Sahara and the Rubicon. What you DO get with the WW is performance suspension, 3.73 gears, and the more off-road capable Rubicon wheels and tires, and also the connectivity package and 1 year of Sirius satellite as standard, plus a Trail Kit and Mopar slush mats tossed in for good measure. And, it just looks really badass.

I'm ordering mine on Friday. :)

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Yeah, unless you know you are going to be going off-road a lot, the Rubicon really is overkill. If you want it because you want it, great! But you won't come close to ever needing it.

I wouldn't even get one 'just in case' your needs change in the future. If that really does happen, these hold their value so well that you can just sell it and upgrade if you need to (or do the mods to your own, which would be more fun/cheaper).

I own a Rubi and love it, but I go off-road all the time and knew I would be.

And for reference, a JKU X model with no lift and road tires was able to do this, so....

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was looking into my first wrangler a couple of months ago.

I wanted leather since getting dog hair out of cloth sucks. I didn't like the look of matching top and fenders standard on the Sahara so I picked up a Rubicon.

Perhaps overkill but time will tell. Most important thing is that I have no regrets.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts