Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 99 tj 4.0 and Im looking to buy headers for performance and sound reasons. Any tips? anyone selling? Things to avoid?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
dvogel11 said:
Hey guys, I have a 99 tj 4.0 and Im looking to buy headers for performance and sound reasons. Any tips? anyone selling? Things to avoid?

Thanks for the help
No personal experience but I've heard good things about Borla and banks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts
Your TJ 4.0L did not come with an exhaust manifold if that's what you're thinking, it came with headers right from the factory.

Both Banks and Borla have earned reputations for their 4.0L headers cracking for the same reason the early TJ's headers cracked... engine torque flexing them. Jeep fixed the problem with the OE headers by adding a pair of steel flex joints where they were cracking but neither Banks nor Borla have bothered to do the same on their standard headers. Banks finally came out with their Revolver header that is supposed to be crack resistant but I sure wouldn't replace your OE header with one unless what you have is cracked and in need of replacement.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Your TJ 4.0L did not come with an exhaust manifold if that's what you're thinking, it came with headers right from the factory.

Both Banks and Borla have earned reputations for their 4.0L headers cracking for the same reason the early TJ's headers cracked... engine torque flexing them. Jeep fixed the problem with the OE headers by adding a pair of steel flex joints where they were cracking but neither Banks nor Borla have bothered to do the same on their standard headers. Banks finally came out with their Revolver header that is supposed to be crack resistant but I sure wouldn't replace your OE header with one unless what you have is cracked and in need of replacement.
The revolver is what I had in mind but couldn't remember the name. Never heard of Borla cracking though

·
Registered
21 Posts
one set of factory headers per year for 3 years all cracked, got tired of paying the labor for the parts were free, put a borla header on an wow felt more response and a deep growl, that was 6 years ago, no crack in mine yet, million mile warranty, been in 100 to 10 degree weather, should of done it right away.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have banks power full exhaust. Including headers. No cracks yet. Lifetime warranty I believe. Atleast on rusting and defects, which should include cracks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts
one set of factory headers per year for 3 years all cracked, got tired of paying the labor for the parts were free, put a borla header on an wow felt more response and a deep growl, that was 6 years ago, no crack in mine yet, million mile warranty, been in 100 to 10 degree weather, should of done it right away.
What year TJ and when were those replacements installed?

·
Registered
124 Posts
WAIT: CONFUSED.. is the OEM for my 99 TJ a flex part

is the OEM now fitted with a flex portion to stop the tendency to crack?
or do I need to go with a later OEM, ??
I have a cracked exhaust manifold to replace.
thanks
dan kennison

·
Registered
21 Posts
the oem with the flex portion crack but not there, dont waste your time withone, do a banks or borla, or do it again a year later.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts
is the OEM now fitted with a flex portion to stop the tendency to crack?
or do I need to go with a later OEM, ??
I have a cracked exhaust manifold to replace.
thanks
dan kennison
Early '99 headers did not have the flex joints, that upgrade came later in the '99 model year. My dealer replaced my '97 TJ's cracked headers twice under warranty with the original non-flex joint version so I had three headers in a row that cracked. Then my dealer replaced it again but with the updated header in late '99 that had the flex joints and it worked fine without cracking for the next 11 years and 160K miles. The new version header was fine the last time I saw that TJ when it was stolen in 2010.

The updated factory design with the flex joints is well known to hold up, it certainly did for me after the three previous non-flex joint headers cracked. :)

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
About 2 and a half years ago I bought the Banks Torque Tube Headers. About 6 months ago, they started leaking. Climbed underneath...and sure enough 2 nice cracks in the headers (I would post pics if I was at my computer at home). I called the warranty and they sent me a new set...which are the new Revolver headers. They have been on for probably 4 months...no issues yet (minus a bolt that started backing out, creating a leak...my fault though). Only time will tell if the Revolvers fix the cracking problem.:popcorn:

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
the oem with the flex portion crack but not there, dont waste your time withone, do a banks or borla, or do it again a year later.
My jeep is a 99...assuming the original owner never replaced the headers, that means my jeep got 11 years and 84000 miles out of the stock set.

I replaced the stock set with the Banks 2 years ago (after probably 20000 miles) due to a crack.

So unless the Revolver headers fix the cracking issue...the flex joints make more sense. $100ish for stock replacements and 11 years of abuse...or $300ish for Banks and 2 years of abuse...hmmm.

I dont know about you guys but replacing headers is a crappy job...I hate it. I rather not being doing it every 2 years.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts
Banks' and Borla's headers are both well known for cracking on the 4.0L. Banks had to come out with the beefed up Revolver design to stop theirs from cracking. For what their headers cost I would sure just go with the updated factory design header with the pair of flex joints... they are well known to hold up fine.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Both Banks and Borla are well known for cracked headers on the 4.0L. Banks had to come out with the beefed up Revolver design to stop from cracking. For what they cost I would sure just go with the updated factory design with the pair of flex joints... they are well known to hold up fine.
I bought the Banks before I found this forum and knew any better. I got sucked into the marketing:doh: If I had it to do over again, I would have gone the cheap route and bought the stock replacements with the flex joints. My jeep came from the factory with them...but after 11 years finally cracked.

Thankfully Banks has an awesome warranty and is easy to work with...now I can only hope these Revolvers hold up like they are supposed to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Uh, how do you tell if you have flex joints. I am taking my 97 on a long road trip in march and am trying to bullet proof and fix any problems that could arise. I was looking at a header because I hear they crack

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Kill The Infidel said:
Uh, how do you tell if you have flex joints. I am taking my 97 on a long road trip in march and am trying to bullet proof and fix any problems that could arise. I was looking at a header because I hear they crack
Notice the "crinkled" part of the header that looks like it could flex. However, if u are not experiencing an exhaust leak (annoying tick) then I don't see why u would need to change anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cons_Table said:
Notice the "crinkled" part of the header that looks like it could flex. However, if u are not experiencing an exhaust leak (annoying tick) then I don't see why u would need to change anything.
That is the philosophy that I live by too. I was looking to swap it out for a little more power, but if I run the risk of messing up a good thing, im not gonna worry about it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts