Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as you can see, I am a newbie here. I have been reading/researching a bit on here for a little while and finally started my first post here as I am now seriously looking to get into a TJ's scene.

I was looking at an all stock 2000 Sport with automatic that has only 33K original miles on it. However, when I slid under the vehicle to check, the amount of rust is quite substantial, in my opinion (see pictures below.) Is this normal for road salt areas like New England? Also, I know the current owners use it for casual plowing and does that contribute to leaks on transmission, rear main seal, as well as some shocks at such low mileage even if they're not that aggressive?

The body has minimal rust, engine itself has no leaks and other than a "lag" when stepped on gas pedal hard at around 20'ish mph, and I was debating whether it's worth the asking price (close to $8K.)

Any feedback is appreciated, whether it's worth the price, it will be a nightmare, or it's a so-so scenario.

Transmission and front left shocks:

Left front brakes and shocks:

Rear main seal, axle, shocks...

Right front brakes, shocks:

Leakings in various places

Gas tank skid plate?

Right front upper suspension component

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
That looks really fishy for 33k miles. My 1995 YJ with 58k (bought with 42k two years ago) doesn't have nearly that amount of rust. I know that there was no preventative measures taken with the previous owner to prevent rust either. I also live in northeast ohio, where the roads are heavily salted.

I say keep moving along. That's going to be a lot of headache when something breaks, or if you mod your Jeep. So to answer your question, that looks pretty abnormal to me.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Pardon me buy holy **** that is ugly. NO.

8k!? I bought my jeep for 5k and its amazingly well taken care off with no rust. I dont care how many miles it has, if it has issues and that much rust, no. take your time, look around, and the right one will come :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, that's nasty. Low mileage means nothing when a vehicle is abused, and lack of maintenance is abuse. While I don't live in the northeast where they salt the roads, I do know that a guy can clean his undercarriage once in awhile and avoid this to some extent. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
PASS!
I mean right now!!!

Keep looking...be patient...you will find the right one and when you do...you'll know it!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I also see a plow in the front end, which means a lot of extra wear on the vehicle. Especially if it wasn't maintained.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Which also brings up another point. With that plow, 33k miles means ALOT of plowing. Driving in salted parking lots...yuck

Sorry I keep posting. I'm just amazed when looking at this thing.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
My 2000 has 28,000 miles. And is rusty like that. Check out my post fit hit the Shan. You will see why you don't want that one

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
TheFix said:
Wow, that's nasty. Low mileage means nothing when a vehicle is abused, and lack of maintenance is abuse. While I don't live in the northeast where they salt the roads, I do know that a guy can clean his undercarriage once in awhile and avoid this to some extent. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't touch it.
Yep mine was a snow plow and nothing but it has destroyed it

·
Registered
802 Posts
Boy....thats one good thing about living on the west coast.....no salt or rust....

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
97flexy said:
Thats alot of rust! I'd say that the odo has rolled over once, cause thats too much rust for 33k

I'm with mannyssj13 and run from that.
Oh no it's not mine isn't rolled over and it's just like that underneath. Snow plow and salt spreader

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank-you everyone!

In fact, I did not even have time time to say "pass" on this one. The owners contacted me and said it's sold a few hours after I saw it.

Based on these pictures with all those rust, without any (substantial) repairs, will it even last 2 years?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts