Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently shopping for my first Jeep and I have so far decided that I want a TJ, 2004-2006 if possible.
I have wanted a Jeep since I was a kid, preferably in yellow. I think I found one that may be a good buy. It's a 2005, 4.0l, 32k miles, yellow and they want right under $15k.
My only gripe is that it is an automatic and I don't like the chrome. :(
The chrome I can deal with, within 6 months (once I sell my current truck) it will be all black on yellow with an armor kit, 2-3" lift, bigger wheels black rims and so on... but the automatic is something that I would have to learn to live with. I have been driving a stick for 15+ years and not sure how I will take to an auto.
I don't plan on doing any rock climbing (I live in Louisiana) but I may do some light off roading and driving in mud.

Here's a pic of it.

What do you guys (the experts) think?

Advice on stuff like a slight lift kit, black rims, trim and so on would be much appreciated.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal, the chrome grille is just a cover so it will come off, I like black Steelies for wheels, but have been looking at sidebiters ,

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks like a sweet jeep. I'm digging the fenders! And ditch the chrome grill cover or paint it black, that would look sweet

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Looks like a nice, clean Jeep! Not sure on the Jeep market down there, but the price seems right. The chrome side-steps, grill, and rims will be an easy sell or trade too. If it were me, I would sell the grill, and trade the side-steps for someone with black ones. The rims I might leave a while to see if I like them. Unless Jeep rims are really nutty, there are always guys that will like those better than the ones they have.

I hear ya on the auto issue. Mine is a manual, and I would never own an auto Jeep. BUT, the autos are fine too. Better for off-roading and more robust than the 5 speeds if only because some people beat on the sticks.

As to mods....if you keep it to a 2" or less lift, it will be a lot less costly and complicated. 3 or more, and get ready to spend more $.

As to checking out the Jeep, a few things to look for that might help (besides the normal things on any car):

1 - Pull the carpet up a bit in front so you can see under the floor mats for corrosion. The floor pans will rust fast if the floor has been wet a lot. Not the end of the world, but can be part of the negotiation.

2 - Rust is the enemy of a Jeep. probably not a big issue where you live, but I guess you never know. Look it over carefully....everywhere on the underside. Check all hinges, look inside frame etc...

3 - Turn the heat on and make sure it works and gets hot out of both vents.

4 - Look for fluid leaks...radiator, main seals....everything. Check the shocks too.

5 - Look for signs of heavy off-roading....such as scrapes on the fuel tank plate.

None of these issues would neccessarily be a show stopper, but could be used to lower price. An off-roaded Jeep is really not a problem, per se, but might get you a few bucks off.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I agree with selling/trading the chrome stuff. I'm more of a black trim kind of guy.
This is the Ranger that I will be selling when I get a Jeep. You can get a feel for my style by seeing it.

The tires on it are 31 x 10.5 R15 and like new, so I have thought about keeping them for the Jeep.
If I do get that particular Jeep it does have a full set of five matching wheels so I should be able to sell them if I decide to go that route.

Whatever I get for selling the Ranger gets spent on the Jeep. I don't think it would need much.

WaterDR, the 2" lift kits, are those basically suspension spacers? I put a 1.75" spacer in the coils of my Ranger to level it and it was pretty easy. As I don't plan on doing much more than play in some mud I think the most important thing is tire size, not suspension travel.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
A 2 inch lift could either be spacers and shocks, just spacers, or springs and shocks. There are also body lifts which are popular.

Almost everything less than a 2 inch would be spacers only.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
2in spacer and a 1in body will run 33's

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it was sold. :(

But I have a lead on a red one.
2006, 4.0l, 6 speed, 69k miles... $10,650

I think it has a body lift on it.

The guy at the little lot that has it claims that it was a one owner, he said the guy that owns the shop next to him is the original owner and that he took care of it and didn't take it off road.

It's 2.5 hours away so I guess a road trip is in order.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is under priced. Around here a 2006 x goes for about 17. I got mine at a great deal for 14,500 and 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The guy selling it admits that it is a great deal. From talking to him I get the feeling that he is pretty much just trying to sell it for his neighbor. I asked him how firm the price was and he said he couldn't budge. He said he priced it as low as he could due to the internet making it hard to sell things these days, too much competition. lol Good for us though.
Here are the known issues.... small dent (about the size of a baseball on the rear passenger corner) and the carpet was removed and the floor was painted with bedliner that is now flaking out.
Dent can be covered with an armor kit and the floor can be repainted, so those aren't really issues for me.

So, how hard is it to remove a body lift kit?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
my neighbor had an X with a 6 and his latest may be also. I was under the impression X replaced Sport for a while .

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it's a X it's a 2.5L 4cyl not a 4L 6cyl.
Thanks for the tip. I went and searched to make sure.
Looks like based on the vin number that he gave my bank it's a 4.0l.

Manual deciphering of vin code shows it's a 4.0 too.

According to kbb the 2006 X only came with a 4.0. I guess they did replace the Sport for that last year or two.

Thanks for bringing it up guys, I would have been ticked off if I would have drove 2.5 hrs to get it and found that he had told me the wrong engine. I have been driving a 4 banger for 11 years and WILL NOT buy another one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I paid 12K for an '01 two years ago with 54K miles. If that jeep is in great shape, that's a steal. I found the ad, nothing jumps out and says "no!" other than it being in Theodore, lol.

Check it very carefully. go underneath and check out the frame and any add-ons you can find.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts