Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've decided to buy a new wrangler 2 door. Looked hard at used ones but the price difference in used and new makes buying used not worth it.

I live in the mountains of NC. For winter I need a 4x4, mostly for the mountain roads that get covered in snow at times. I will not be doing any heavy duty off road. The most I will do is dirt roads. I don't need bigger tires and want to keep stock tires and wheels.

I want the least expensive one I can get and found none that fits in my price range. It's yellow (yuk) but not really concerned about color. It is a manual transmission which is fine but the salesman said it has a 3.73 rear end.

I'm not going to be towing anything so can someone tell me if the 3.73 will be good for what I need? The guy told me it's good in case I want to put bigger tires on, but I have no plans for that.

I don't know a lot about this stuff so can someone help with a little guidance?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I've decided to buy a new wrangler 2 door. Looked hard at used ones but the price difference in used and new makes buying used not worth it.

I live in the mountains of NC. For winter I need a 4x4, mostly for the mountain roads that get covered in snow at times. I will not be doing any heavy duty off road. The most I will do is dirt roads. I don't need bigger tires and want to keep stock tires and wheels.

I want the least expensive one I can get and found none that fits in my price range. It's yellow (yuk) but not really concerned about color. It is a manual transmission which is fine but the salesman said it has a 3.73 rear end.

I'm not going to be towing anything so can someone tell me if the 3.73 will be good for what I need? The guy told me it's good in case I want to put bigger tires on, but I have no plans for that.

I don't know a lot about this stuff so can someone help with a little guidance?

Thanks
3.73 is better than a 3.21 in my opinion. Unless your wallet can afford a rubi then get 4.10's. Make sense?
Not really. I'm not getting a rubicon. Why is 373 better?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
It's better performance wise, think of it like a classic 10 speed bicycle. 1st gear is really easy to pedal your legs are spinning pretty fast but you can take it down trails, up hills, probably even through sand. You can take off from a standstill pretty good. That's 3.73. Now think of 10th gear, you don't have to pedal as fast (better gas mileage) but it's harder to take off from a stop. It's virtually impossible to climb a long hill, and pedaling down a trail is pretty tough and virtually impossible through sand. That's 3.21. Those are the effects your jeep is feeling. Most people would opt for the better performance as opposed to the slightly better gas mileage.

Ps yes a jeep with 3.21 can actually go through sand.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Personaly i think 3:73 is a perfect gear ratio for 32 inch tires and below. Nice low end grunt not much sacrifice if at all in all around fuel mileage..
Cameron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I got the same impression but was concerned the the 373 would be too much of a good thing. My concern is that I won't use first much, to take off from stop signs and red lights is about it. The mountains I travel back and forth every day are steep, but never in first gear

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ok. I got the same impression but was concerned the the 373 would be too much of a good thing. My concern is that I won't use first much, to take off from stop signs and red lights is about it. The mountains I travel back and forth every day are steep, but never in first gear
3.73 would be good for you then. I haven't used 1st gear on road in well...I never do. Unless I read what you wrote wrong and you want to use first gear a lot??? Either way there's not many threads on here of people wishing they got 3.21's.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am wondering - given you intended uses - if having a LSD/Trac-Lok is something you want to consider.

Try JEEP.com search for dealer inventories in your area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts