Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking to buy a new jeep.. This will be my first rodeo.. Jeep Rookie. I want to build a mean, bad ass semi aggressive yet ever so classy Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

I am looking to put 37 inch tires , 18 inch wheels, I live in Miami so off-road here practically doesn't exist.. I would definitely take some road trips and take it off-road here and there. I do want a smooth ride yet a jeep that's built to off-road here and there. I have lift questions on what size I would need.
How much should i expect to spend for 37 inch tires , wheels , lift ect. Also wan to add a winch ect.. Again i'm a rookie and looking to build a jeep yet not break my wallet so much.. Any suggestions .. I think 37 tires, 18 inch wheels 3.5-4 inch lift , front winch ect will make my new jeep look pretty mean and bad ass , I also want a quality built jeep
thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh my other question is I love how the 2017 Rubicon Recon Looks.. Bad ass but since I will be lifting it and changing wheels and tires I want to make sure I dont spend so much on a higher model to later be replacing alot of parts to lift ect ect.. Guess looking for a model that makes sense , that looks nice and has what I need for I can then build it up
thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
To be honest, to properly build a jeep to run 37s will NOT be cheap. You can do a half assed job that will be cheap but it wont perform well, especially offroad. I would strongly consider that Recon as the bigger front axle over the Rubicon is gonna be one of the main issues trying to run 37s. A regular Rubicon is going to need to truss and guesset the front 44, and i dont think the stock axle shafts will live very long. Additionally you are probably going to want to do some sort of steering assist (hydro) because there is no way in hell you are gonna be turning that wheel while the front is locked up. New driveshafts are likely if you want to run 3.5" lift. They will be on borrowed time. Or if you run 2.5" lift and flat fenders you could run 37s (people here do that) although honestly with the unlimited you are going to want 3.5" because of the longer wheel base. You will need to regear for 37s as even the 4.10s in the rubicon are insufficient for any wheeling.

Are you opossed to running 35s? be honest about your wheeling...is it fire roads and beaches or mudding? or is it rocks and crawling.

If you want quality its gonna cost you. Guys and gals around here are spending 10-20k to properly get set up and run 37s...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Miami is about flat roads , alot of wet roads , beaches ect .. I will go to campsites and take road trips from time to time most twice a year to get my off road fix but other than that just plain highway driving ..37s I liked because its a taller meaner more aggressive look . I want the mean truck/Jeep look but off course want a reasonable price .. Rubicon Recon is pricey.. I also liked the Smokey Mountain models as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had some guy tell me just get a wrangler unlimited sport and build it up way cheaper than building a Rubicon, Smokey Mountain , Recon ect.. but im not the type that wants to be going to a local shop 4-5 times to add this and that n that lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Based upon what you wrote for your intended purpose, I would start with a Sport and build it up how you want it. Use the funds you saved versus buying a Rubicon for a war chest to build up the Sport to properly handle the 37's.

You don't need lockers for what you are describing.

If you are not doing the wrenching yourself, be sure you budget in a healthy amount for the cost of labor.

Reactions: zombiesai

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
So... basically, you want it to look fancy but won't be doing any of the things the mods are meant for, right?

This could easily be a trolling post, but whatever.

Why bother with a Rubicon at all? Why not start with a Sahara, since it's got all the best comfort features for a daily driver without the hard-core rock crawling stuff you're not going to use?

You're going to need to regear for 37's anyway so the 4.10's that the Rubicon has are wasted. Since you're re-gearing, you can get a crawl rate better than a standard non-Rubicon which reduces the value of the transfer case too. If you want lockers, you could add them, but you've really got no need for them. The BLD's will get the wheels turning if you need it in sand or something.

You don't seem to need a winch at all so take your pick. Get the one that you think looks the most neat-o to you I guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... basically, you want it to look fancy but won't be doing any of the things the mods are meant for, right?

This could easily be a trolling post, but whatever.

Why bother with a Rubicon at all? Why not start with a Sahara, since it's got all the best comfort features for a daily driver without the hard-core rock crawling stuff you're not going to use?

You're going to need to regear for 37's anyway so the 4.10's that the Rubicon has are wasted. Since you're re-gearing, you can get a crawl rate better than a standard non-Rubicon which reduces the value of the transfer case too. If you want lockers, you could add them, but you've really got no need for them. The BLD's will get the wheels turning if you need it in sand or something.

You don't seem to need a winch at all so take your pick. Get the one that you think looks the most neat-o to you I guess.
Im not trolling I live in Miami which happens to be a non off road city.. I love jeeps always wanted one .. As I said if i get a jeep I will be taking road trips and will go camping and off rad from time to time but mostly driving on the street.. Yes I want one bad ass machine.. Want it to look tuff and rugid.. I like the wow factor .. I just want to build it smart and not blow over 60,000.. Regardless what im going to use it for .. I dont want a wimpy Jeep .. I want one I will love , that has good re sale value and a jeep that will drop jaws.. im a rookie and everyone has been there at one point or another .. not trolling but buying and building ..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not to bash, But I'm in Coral Springs, just north of Ft. Lauderdale... and we happen to live next 10th largest national park in the country. granted you are not allowed in a large portion of it with your jeep, there are still some places to go. Also Picayune Strand state forest, and Lazy Springs about 2 hours across the Alley.

Reading the above, if you are only ever going to be wheeling occasionally, I don't see the benefit of the Rubi for you. You'll get a D44 with 3.73, or you can pay to upgrade to the 4.10's which will be okay up to 35's (I'm running that setup now, It's doggy but livable, I'd recommend gears for 37's)

a 4:1 transfer case, which again, light wheeling the 2.32:1 will suit you, plus if you go 37's and gear to 4.56 or more aggressively 4.88's the T-case will be just fine. While you are gearing you can bump up the axles and save on gearing and locker labor.

a Sahara gives you the high end creature comforts. figure $1,500 for 37" tires, 18" rims are another $1,500. A gear swap if you pay a shop is about $1k per axle, they might cut you a deal if you do both at the same time, or you can just swap the front axle with a real D44 that already has the gears you want and a locker even.

I did the same thing about 2 years ago. I spec'd a Black Bear edition wrangler figuring I would swap the axles down the road. the cost pretty much balanced out between the Black Bear and the Rubi.

Never looked at the Recon Edition, that was an enjoyable read.

Good luck, and Welcome to the jeep club.
Check out BlackSheep4x4s.org when you have a minute, very helpful guys there.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
Regardless what im going to use it for .. I dont want a wimpy Jeep .. I want one I will love , that has good re sale value and a jeep that will drop jaws.. im a rookie and everyone has been there at one point or another .. not trolling but buying and building ..
Keep in mind that for resale value the aftermarket parts you put on will be practically worthless and may even narrow the potential pool of interested buyers (especially if done in a tasteless manner with low-tier parts). 37s are kinda pushing it with a stock Rubicon D44 front axle without some kind of modification or replacement of said front axle. The fact that you will only be off roading infrequently may increase the risk, since experience is the best "modification" in terms of preventing damage to parts. Better to start wheeling with the stock vehicle to get some experience and then start adding parts as your skills improve. - Don't go over the biggest curb at the mall first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to bash, But I'm in Coral Springs, just north of Ft. Lauderdale... and we happen to live next 10th largest national park in the country. granted you are not allowed in a large portion of it with your jeep, there are still some places to go. Also Picayune Strand state forest, and Lazy Springs about 2 hours across the Alley.

Reading the above, if you are only ever going to be wheeling occasionally, I don't see the benefit of the Rubi for you. You'll get a D44 with 3.73, or you can pay to upgrade to the 4.10's which will be okay up to 35's (I'm running that setup now, It's doggy but livable, I'd recommend gears for 37's)

a 4:1 transfer case, which again, light wheeling the 2.32:1 will suit you, plus if you go 37's and gear to 4.56 or more aggressively 4.88's the T-case will be just fine. While you are gearing you can bump up the axles and save on gearing and locker labor.

a Sahara gives you the high end creature comforts. figure $1,500 for 37" tires, 18" rims are another $1,500. A gear swap if you pay a shop is about $1k per axle, they might cut you a deal if you do both at the same time, or you can just swap the front axle with a real D44 that already has the gears you want and a locker even.

I did the same thing about 2 years ago. I spec'd a Black Bear edition wrangler figuring I would swap the axles down the road. the cost pretty much balanced out between the Black Bear and the Rubi.

Never looked at the Recon Edition, that was an enjoyable read.

Good luck, and Welcome to the jeep club.
Check out BlackSheep4x4s.org when you have a minute, very helpful guys there.
Wow thank you .. so is the difference between going with 35 to 37 that great .. how much lift would i need and is the expense worth it .. I just dont like my jeep looking smallish.. I like a bigger aggressive looking jeep big tires 18 rims , wide tires ect but i dont want it riding like a cow either.. Thanks for informing me about those parks good to know us Florida people can go off-roading

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow thank you .. so is the difference between going with 35 to 37 that great .. how much lift would i need and is the expense worth it .. I just dont like my jeep looking smallish.. I like a bigger aggressive looking jeep big tires 18 rims , wide tires ect but i dont want it riding like a cow either.. Thanks for informing me about those parks good to know us Florida people can go off-roading
I also enjoy the power hood of the rubicon recon and smokey mountain models.. hood has a nice trim ect rather than the flat .. Also interior on the recon is nice.. its hard to get luxury in a jeep guess i want the best of both worlds , style , mean and great overall ride if it be highway or off road

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep in mind that for resale value the aftermarket parts you put in will be practically worthless and may even narrow the potential pool of interested buyers (especially if done in a tasteless manner with low-tier parts). 37s are kinda pushing it with a stock Rubicon D44 front axle without some kind of modification or replacement of said front axle. The fact that you will only be off roading infrequently may increase the risk, since experience is the best "modification" in terms of preventing damage to parts. Better to start wheeling with the stock vehicle to get some experience and then start adding parts as your skills improve. - Don't go over the biggest curb at the mall first.
Agreed but im not going to build a cheap jeep.. I will do quality on a semi budget.. Im very thankful for all of your opinions though.. Its up in the air if ill go with 35 or 37 tires.. i tend to like the bigger /mean look

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep in mind that for resale value the aftermarket parts you put on will be practically worthless and may even narrow the potential pool of interested buyers (especially if done in a tasteless manner with low-tier parts). 37s are kinda pushing it with a stock Rubicon D44 front axle without some kind of modification or replacement of said front axle. The fact that you will only be off roading infrequently may increase the risk, since experience is the best "modification" in terms of preventing damage to parts. Better to start wheeling with the stock vehicle to get some experience and then start adding parts as your skills improve. - Don't go over the biggest curb at the mall first.
agreed all rookies have to start somewhere plus i love to read and familarize myself.. trust me as I said in Florida its hard to come across huge rocks to climb over ..
thanks

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
Agreed but im not going to build a cheap jeep.. I will do quality on a semi budget.. Im very thankful for all of your opinions though.. Its up in the air if ill go with 35 or 37 tires.. i tend to like the bigger /mean look
Even with top-tier parts one may expect to get 10% out of it at sale time ($25,000 in parts may yield $2,500 at sale time). The only way to get more is to remove the parts at sale time and sell them separately. This is not just speculation on my part, but based on real world experience. Sure, there is always the exception to the rule, where you run into some rich kid eager to depart with his daddy's money.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
I disagree with lockers not being needed in the South. No, rocks are definitely an endangered species in most of the South below Macon and into Florida, but that sand can be treacherous.

While I have never had to use my lockers in my TJ Rubi, I have used the rear diff lock many times on a medium sized four wheel drive tractor doing clearing of land that has soft spots. When the wheels start spinning, just move your heel back and lock the diff and pull out.

Totally agree on upgrading a Sport or Sahara. Why pay $5000 for the Rubicon goodies underneath if you are just going to throw them away. If you are going to replace the wheels, why go 18"? You would be far better off with 17s or even 16s and the choice of tires would be wider and less expensive. If you are going to be on soft sand you would want to air down to increase your tire print and you would have more sidewall to work with on a 17 than an 18" wheel.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you want it done big and don't want to piece it together why not look at AEV or Rubitrux, etc. It seems your budget would be in line with that and it's once and done. Plus you could have the mother of all mods.......the HEMI!

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts