Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a current JK owner and am looking at an 04 Rubicon tomorrow. Anything specifically I should look for? It’s really clean with low miles. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Rust, rust, rust, and rust....
Inside the frame...
Undercoating is a huge red flag

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It has 46000mi and just glancing at the frame it looks factory new. I only looked at the typical TJ frame rust spots though.

Also the window sticker says 4:10 gearing. Is that normal for an automatic Rubicon?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Make sure the air lockers work when test driving it. You have to be in 4LO to engage them. One click rear, another click front and rear. Rubicon lockers will not lock and the lights will continue flashing until you have made enough turns so they can lock. They will seldom lock just driving straight and they will never lock when sitting still.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure the air lockers work when test driving it. You have to be in 4LO to engage them. One click rear, another click front and rear. Rubicon lockers will not lock and the lights will continue flashing until you have made enough turns so they can lock. They will seldom lock just driving straight and they will never lock when sitting still.

I have to be honest. I thought you were pulling my chain about the air lockers, had no idea that was a factory option. Then I got in for a test drive and saw the switch. I did exactly what you said to see if they functioned properly, and they did. Thank you very much for pointing that out to me . I have no real idea about the TJ and am trying to learn. All my knowledge is in the JK.

By the way, I ended up buying it so we will se where this goes.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I have to be honest. I thought you were pulling my chain about the air lockers, had no idea that was a factory option. Then I got in for a test drive and saw the switch. I did exactly what you said to see if they functioned properly, and they did. Thank you very much for pointing that out to me . I have no real idea about the TJ and am trying to learn. All my knowledge is in the JK.

By the way, I ended up buying it so we will se where this goes.

Thanks again

You're welcome. Post a pic when you get a chance.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks Great for an 04, nice rig!!! congrats

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
$14000. A little high but such low miles, 46000, and no rust.
Looks great. That's a really good deal where I live. I paid $9500 cash for mine when it was stock with 120,000 miles. I could have easily sold it for $12,000 around my area. Enjoy it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great. That's a really good deal where I live. I paid $9500 cash for mine when it was stock with 120,000 miles. I could have easily sold it for $12,000 around my area. Enjoy it!

From what I’ve seen the money is in the frame and body. I’ve always loved the 4.0, it’s a beast and runs forever.

Nice rig, it looks really clean. I have a 14JK in Flame Red. I love how well red with black accents go well together.

Thanks I will

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts