Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting a winch soon, and was wanting to go with something quality like Warn. I plan on getting synthetic line also, but thats kind of beside the point. My question is this: What are the differences between the different lines? I know the VR is the "entry level" line, the XD and M series are the next step up... etc... But, what sets them apart?

I spent quite a bit of time on their site, and couldnt really find ANY specific information that would answer my question. I have some guesses, but nothing on their site backs it up. is a VR8000 not constant duty cycle, wheras an M8000 is? or does the M8000 only have a faster pull speed? They both have the same warranty...

I'm thinking I'd like to get the VR10000 with synthetic line... and even that is going to be stretching my budget... but... what features will I be missing out on? Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Faster line speed, more drum capacity, constant duty etc. I have an x8000i (no longer available) and LOVE it.
An 8000 lb winch is plenty adequate to help with the cost factor

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So as far as the duty cycle, why are these numbers not more readily available? Kinda frustrating that Warn wouldn't be a little more transparent with them.

What is the Duty cycle of the VR series, and what is the duty cycle of the M series? Drum capacity is not a concern to me at all, 100' of synthetic would be plenty. Any comments on line speed differences?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a google search for "VR8000 line speed" and get nothing but comments such as "quick" and "fast".... haha... wow. Nice documentation :p

·
Registered
717 Posts
Duty Cycle

Duty cycle can only be an effective measure when the load is known. Because of the wide variance in loads applied when winching you may be able to run the same winch from 100% duty cycle to 5% duty cycle and still not damage the winch.

The best rule of thumb is if you can put your hand tightly on the motor. If you can't then you need to cool it down.

Unless you are going to get stuck multiple times in very short order, or pull a number of rigs out repeatedly, the VR series would be adequate. I tend towards the M8000 as my standard. Have owned numerous Warns including a couple 8274's.

One key to heavy duty winching is to have plenty of snatch blocks and some extra cable.

As I understand the VR series has some China made parts in it but is assembled in USA. M8000 has all US made parts.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
One more thing to keep in mind... while an 8,000 lb. capacity is indeed fine for a Jeep and is the minimum capacity that should be considered, larger winches like 9,000 or 9,500 lb. models do run cooler and require less amperes at the same loads.

That said, an 8,000 lb. capacity is fine and will get you out of nearly any conceivable situation. And only on repetitive winching jobs will heat and duty cycle start to become a factor. :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
^^^ which means you just got to take a break for while. I've got an m8000 and I drug my sisters stocker off a high center with all 4 of her wheels off the ground. Literally drug her jeep about 5 ft. with it.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I'm also going to put in my vote for the M8000. I've only used it twice (once to lift the Jeep up by a tree branch to test and the 2nd time to extract a stump from the ground) and it was awesome both times. Between the $50 rebate Warn is doing right now, the rock bottom price for a new one on StreetSideAuto (where I got mine, with coupon code, for like $530 shipped). If you get it from Street Side, they'll even send you an email a few days after it ships with 10% worth of credit to spend at their store. I turned that around and bought a winch plate from them with the credit. While I wish mine had synthetic cable, you can't beat the deal on the M8000 right now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a really good deal, i just checked it out! I just wish they would have a similar deal with synthetic line.

I'll probably end up going with the VR8000 with synthetic line.. I know the M series is "better"... but I wont be using it enough for it to really Matter i dont think.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had an XD9000I on my last Jeep and it was awesome! One memorable Winter trip saw about 30 long, hard pulls over a 12 hour period and at least 2-3 times I would pull the full distance I could with 125 ft of Synthetic line and immediately re-spool, re-hook and pull another 75 or so feet (it was a couple of long, long hills covered in a couple of feet of snow) That winch did it without complaining once.

I hope the 9.5TI I now have performs equally as well.
Come to think of it, I would gladly trade this winch for another XD9000I.

Vince

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone have any comments or experience with the VR series? as this is most likely the series I will be getting...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Does anyone have any comments or experience with the VR series? as this is most likely the series I will be getting...
If a standard Warn was out of my price range, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their new VR series. Warn isn't going to let something go out the door with their name on it that isn't going to hold up for the majority of offroaders with non-heavy duty winch needs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If a standard Warn was out of my price range, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their new VR series. Warn isn't going to let something go out the door with their name on it that isn't going to hold up for the majority of offroaders with non-heavy duty winch needs.
If it was a money issue I agree with the VR series or I would look for a used Warn 8,000 or 9,000lb XD series.

Vince

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I just picked up a used XD9000i and hope it performs as nice as everyone said it does. Now to make a better bumper and mount it!!!!

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I just picked up a used XD9000i and hope it performs as nice as everyone said it does. Now to make a better bumper and mount it!!!!
Good choice!:thumb: I was lucky to find a used XD9000i also when a friend sold one of his rigs. Good timing too, cause my Smitty had just quit working.

It's old, and not pretty, but it's been awesome. I have used it a ton on snow runs this year. Plus, I really like the integrated solenoid.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Good choice!:thumb: I was lucky to find a used XD9000i also when a friend sold one of his rigs. Good timing too, cause my Smitty had just quit working.

It's old, and not pretty, but it's been awesome. I have used it a ton on snow runs this year. Plus, I really like the integrated solenoid.

Nice Jeep. If I could carbon copy my Jeep to yours I would be happy. Nice simple front bumper is what I want. Nice lift size. I also like the integrated relay too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts