Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.21 gear ratio in my JK with 33" tires. In general, I'm actually quite happy with the performance. I'm not planning to go any bigger than my 33s. But on big hills, I feel like I could use just a little bit more power.

I don't want to regear; it's too expensive to be worth it for my purposes. I've read arguments for and against the CAI until my head spun. I've had a friend suggest a higher flow filter. What other ideas should I be looking at for just a few more horses under the hood?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Nothing short of a supercharger is going to make a difference. Intake and exhaust won't net you any noticeable difference.

Which motor do you have? 3.8 or 3.6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
You've got 285hp. Honestly if you want a little more "power" on hills...gears.

This... There is no more HP to be had except for adding a supercharger. Intake and exhaust just make more noise.

The fix is gearing. OP should have bought with 4.10.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Yup, gears is it. Adding a CAI or catback UNLESS you tune the engine will give you nothing.

When you say hills,what elevation? It will naturally downshift (assuming auto). It can't be that bad. Also, after 60mph, aerodynamics is not your friend.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
OP:

I'm a flatlander too. 3.6 liter. 3.21 gears. 33" tires.

If you have an auto transmission, you may be happy with just a programmer to adjust your transmission shift points. I was surprised how much difference the Procal made by adjusting the actual tire diameter.

I did regear, but honestly could have gotten by with just the programmer if I didn't pull a small trailer at Interstate speeds over the Rockies a couple times a year.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I should have bought it with better gearing. That's my fault for not knowing these things when I made the purchase. But I don't really have $3k for a re-gear. My local shop is quoting 12 hours per diff, plus the parts.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
$3k is too much. $2-2.5 is plenty for a quality install, and you can get it done for less.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes, I should have bought it with better gearing. That's my fault for not knowing these things when I made the purchase. But I don't really have $3k for a re-gear. My local shop is quoting 12 hours per diff, plus the parts.

Shop around. That is obscenely high. 4wp just had a special for 1000 bucks.

As another poster mentioned. A tuner to fix your speedometer (calibrate tire size) will help with the shift points. Superchips flashcal can help with that.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

As another poster mentioned. A tuner to fix your speedometer (calibrate tire size) will help with the shift points. Superchips flashcal can help with that.

I used a ProCal to fix the shift points for my tire size a long time ago, I'm afraid.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts

Yep, local axle shop does them all the time for $1050. $3k is obscene...

·
Registered
258 Posts
3k better include front & rear lockers

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
285 HP out of 3.6 liters is pretty amazing.
Not all that. The Nissan/Infiniti VQ 3.5 put out 306hp a dozen years ago, which which was a hoot in a car the size of a g35.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Minion Wrangler
1 - 20 of 25 Posts