Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a '17 JK and I'm looking for a steel lock box to hide/protect a mobile ham radio head in the top center dash cubby. I've looked all over and have only found plastic, non-lockable, rolling door storage consoles that just won't cut it. The units dimensions are 7.25" × 3.25" × 1". I have a feeling I may have to just fabricate this. Also, if you think this is a bad idea, please tell me your thoughts.

I may also be installing a cb sometime soon but might just put that low in the dash beneath the hazard switch pod or get a handheld cb and clip it to the dash. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for any help!

I'm a new member to the forums, new to Wrangler ownership and I'm just getting started in Overlanding. Also, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the fabrication thread. Apologies if this is the wrong place for this type of discussion.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
What radio do you have? Most of the ones with remote heads, the heads snap in and out of the mounting plate easily. When you park, pop it out and put it in a lock box or take it with you. The mounting is very non descriptive, won't attract any attention.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I might be worried about heat, too, in such an enclosure.

I vote for taking the face off. I share your concern. I don't have a mobile yet, but whenever I think about mounting, having it stolen is my main concern. When I get one I plan to mount the face either above the mirror or on the center dash above the radio, and to take off the faceplate when I'm leaving the Jeep out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

I agree with both of you on all counts, taking the head/brain off is probably the best solution. I had researched under seat lock boxes as I thought they were a perfect out of the way solution, but unfortunately they don't fit newer JK's. I've seen some center console lock boxes, one had an an extra tab to prevent someone from using a crow bar on it. It should work for my needs and I like that it will be unnoticible to prying eyes.

Sparky, I don't have the radio yet (It's on the list!) but it will be the Icom ID-5100a dual band D-STAR ham transceiver. It comes highly recommended by the local ham club I belong to and there are a few D-STAR repeaters in the area. I'm using a handheld Yaesu in the mean time for my travels.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Sound, since there are D-Star repeaters in the area, and people you know recommend it, that sounds like a good way to go. See if they will show you how it operates, hands-on is nice.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm honestly not worried about theft. My control panel is mounted to the roll cage switch pod but before that was mounted to the Footman loop mount up high.

It's easy enough though, to detach the cable and pull the head.

Reactions: Sound_Chaser
1 - 6 of 6 Posts