Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I wan to say that i am not looking for a $700+ winch. I dont wan to knock them as they serve their purpose, just not for me. I do not wheel heavy and nor will I ever. I may occasionally get stuck in the mud or need to pull a friend out. I am a beginner and until my jeep is paid off and I have another daily, i do not plan on wheeling hard at all. I am looking at the Badlands, Barricade, and Quadratec winch. I think I want synthetic for weight purposes. And I think i am going to put a disconnect on the battery wires just to not always have the winch hot. I do plan on using a cover for the winch as well not in use.

I have a few friends with Badlands winches, they have had them for several years now. They are the older ones with the magnet motors and they are always left out in the elements an none of them have failed yet so i figured the new wound motors in them would be better quality and should be ok. I hear the badlands and Engo's are the same exact winch. I the control box's have the older type of solenoids and people dislike those.

The barricade winches look nice, I see no exterior bolt heads on the motor or gear side so it makes me think they are sealed well from the weather. Extreme terrain website shows awesome reviews and i tired to google any info about them but i only read good reviews, no negatives. I think they use the older style solenoids too, not the new contact style.

The quadratec units look nice too, i have read a few negative reviews of them, mainly the units were not sealed and rusted up good. I aslo read about the brakes in the drum ruining the synthetic lines with heat from the drum.

What do you guys think of these winches i brought up? any insight would be appreciated. Please keep in mind "i heard from my friends brothers cousin that these suck" I would like to hear real world experiences. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Check out SuperWinch as well.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Millions of winch threads. You will find people with good and bad experiences with every winch out there.

My standard advice is to buy from a winch manufacturer, not a winch re-brander. Superwinch, Mile Marker, Warn, Ramsey are the 4 companies that DESIGN and BUILD winches. Yes some of them even come from China, but built to exacting specs with good quality control. Engo would be my next choice because the company is owned by the son of the founder of Mile Marker (I believe). After that you get into questionable QC. Smittybilt for instance doesn't even require proof from the vendor when they submit a warranty claim. They know the winches are junk and will just ship out another because it's cheaper than trying to prove it broke or repair it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Millions of winch threads. You will find people with good and bad experiences with every winch out there.

My standard advice is to buy from a winch manufacturer, not a winch re-brander. Superwinch, Mile Marker, Warn, Ramsey are the 4 companies that DESIGN and BUILD winches. Yes some of them even come from China, but built to exacting specs with good quality control. Engo would be my next choice because the company is owned by the son of the founder of Mile Marker (I believe). After that you get into questionable QC. Smittybilt for instance doesn't even require proof from the vendor when they submit a warranty claim. They know the winches are junk and will just ship out another because it's cheaper than trying to prove it broke or repair it.

Thank you for that info. What do you think of the Superwinch tiger shark SR, it states its weatherproof, has a synthetic line and has a brake thats outside of the drum.....as I type i think i answered my own question.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thank you for that info. What do you think of the Superwinch tiger shark SR, it states its weatherproof, has a synthetic line and has a brake thats outside of the drum.....as I type i think i answered my own question.
I have that winch on my jeep and have had no issues with it yet...pulled me out of a good mud hole last summer :)

I did get the cover for it to keep it out of the elements...

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Smittybilt X2O 12K comp here. We have 3 of these in the group that see regular use no issues.
Smittybilt XRC 10k couple of these no issues.
2 SW tiger sharks no issues
3 older style Superwinches in the garbage.
2 ENGO 10k in the garbage replaced solenoids twice. These failed when needed most.
4 Warns all good.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I was wheeling with an off road training company that uses different peoples winches every day all day, he recommended tiger shark as the best for the money.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smittybilt X2O 12K comp here. We have 3 of these in the group that see regular use no issues.
Smittybilt XRC 10k couple of these no issues.
2 SW tiger sharks no issues
3 older style Superwinches in the garbage.
2 ENGO 10k in the garbage replaced solenoids twice. These failed when needed most.
4 Warns all good.
do you mean the smity xrc 9500? i only see a xrc 9k and 9500 synthetic and a x20 10k

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
^^ Smittybilt XRCs are now Generation 2 and have been for a couple years. Gen 1 came as an 8500, 10k and 12k, iirc, and Gen 2 comes as 9500 and 12k I believe.

I have read a few bad reports on Gen 1 XRCs but I've never read any problem at all with an Gen 2 XRC, and I keep my eyes peeled because I have a 9.5 Comp (synthetic rope) myself. If they start proving problematic over time ("verified" by people reporting actual failures they've had or witnessed) I'll replace it in a heartbeat. But haven't seen anything in the year and a half I've had mine mounted.

I have used mine in the wild 13 times for extractions of my Jeep during that time. Half of those I've been solo so I'm relying completely on it. And to be fair, two of those pulls were with a Gen 2 XRC4 winch I use for rear pulls from the receiver. It has also performed flawlessly but spends most of its life in my storage shed or the back of the Jeep and has never gotten wet. The 9.5 has been submerged twice on river crossings, but only briefly during entry when the Jeeps nose was down.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll stick in my 2 cents since I am in the same situation (beginner light infrequent use) and budget range. From reading countless threads, it pretty clear that the Superwinch Tigershark is the budget conscious favorite and my top pick right now.

However, I then spent a good amount of time reading on Steel Cable vs Synthetic and it seems that Cable is preferred to Synthetic for infrequent use. Syn has it's benefits (lighter, no whip if it snaps), but seems to require more frequent maintenance and is more sensitive to the elements. Also saw in various places that it has a finite lifetime of a few years and then needs to be replaced.

After processing all that, I am leaning toward getting the Tigershark with the Steel Cable and Steel Hawse Fairlead (rollers seem to damage/fray the cable if pulling at an angle).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
VPR80,

For very infrequent use the hawse fairlead will work for a cable. But the cable will damage the hawse fairlead with the friction and drag. The newer designed rollers will not damage the cable or synthetic. But you will need to replace the hawse at regular intervals if used with cable or it will damage to the cable.

Good luck and be safe!

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
And VPR80, I'd strongly, strongly, strongly encourage you to rethink that decision. I had both -- steel cable on the small 4K rear-facing winch and synthetic on the 9.5k front bumper winch. After a year and only two pulls with the steel rope I said screw it and threw it away to replace with synthetic. I used steel years ago when that's all there was, but now that I've experienced plastic rope, I'm spoiled forever.

As for replacing, every mfg. who sells synthetic rope winches also sells synthetic rope and would LOVE to pick up another $150 from you every 2 years. I'm sure there is a UV exposure degradation happening, but I bet it's nowhere near 2 years as recommended by some sellers. I plan to replace mine at year 5 unless I get some indication of need sooner than that. I keep mine covered so frankly, I don't see how UV will even enter into the equation.

Finally, you mention maintenance; the wire is the PIA rope where that's concerned. It wants to kink every time you use it. It requires so much more care to ensure it doesn't get a kink, and once it does, there's no getting rid of it. If a strand breaks, you'll get a wicked flesh wound if you're holding tension on it while respooling, even through gloves sometimes. And once a strand breaks, it's just going to keep unravelling.

The price delta tends to be about a hundred bucks. It is money well-spent my friend. And I say that not because I'm an evangelist for plastic rope trying to "justify my purchase." Remember, I had both and after a year spent money to replace the wire and go with synthetic.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Partially why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm not committed to any particular option, just been reading what would work best for my case. I do like that synthetic rope will save 50lbs of weight on the front bumper.

·
Registered
386 Posts
synthethic will only save you 23 lbs. in mud synthethic degrades RAPIDLY. I wore out the winch before the cable (5 years in mud and water) never run a winch in water it will ruin it fast. pay attention to reeling in and you will not have a kinking problem. keep the cable clean and lubed up, the winch clean and it should work when you need it. I have a 8500 Rugged Ridge by the way...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
There is no harm in buying a winch with cable and seeing and understanding the differences first hand and upgrading to synthetic rope if you are using the winch enough to want it. I have cable on my M8000. If I ever think I need to replace it, big if, I will get synthetic. But for now, I don't think I use the winch enough to mind taking my time with cable. I would rather buy more winch at first, with a cable, then upgrade later when I decide if the upgrade is worth it to me...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the winch itself (or the roller) were not the same between cable and rope? I though that you could not use a rope on a winch that originally came with a cable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts