Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all im gonna act like a complete noob here. lol but i feel that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

so i have a 2002 TJ with an existing 4" Rancho lift and 33" Mickey's. i want to go bigger on the tires around 37's, 38's. can i do that with a 3" BL. also what kind of gearing change am i looking at?and any additional changes. im open to all suggestions. I love off-roading and trail riding. and even some rock crawling.

thanks y'all

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
37s or 38s are gonna take a lot of work and a lot of money to do it right. 37-38s will need new axles, new gearing, new steering, new brakes. If you are gonna go through the hassle of running tires that size, you might as well build a rig that functions well. A 3" BL won't gain you anything other than clearance. Body lifts of that size create more problems than anything. A 1" body lift is normally an acceptable amount. What reasons are u wanting to go to tires that size? Is the terrain you are running requiring it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there really isn't a direct reason. i've just always wanted a big jeep. the more i sit here and think about it i can see that 35's might be the better option. all the extras you mentioned are more than i was xpecting. i knew about the gearing and steering. we'll see im just getting info for now. im currently deployed and been saving up some money for when i get home. thanks for the insight. maybe i can up with something less serious.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Are your upgrades for wheeling or just for looks? There's a big difference between the two. If you want bigger tires for looks, fine. I say go for it but do it right (steering, brakes, gearing, etc). If you are doing it for wheeling, there are better upgrades you could do like lockers, tummy tuck and such. A rig locked/locked on 30s will out perform a rig with 35s open/open with all else being equal in most cases.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like i said i just got the jeep last year and been out of the country for the better part of the last two years. but since ill be spending more time at home im gonna be doing more riding. were going to Southern Alabama and i didn't see too many crawling spots so im looking to do just trails and muddin in the bayou. i really appreciate all the insight guys. i was a little naive and thought that you coulf just slap bigger rubber on a jeep and go anywhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i had my wife look into the jeep a little more so i can get a better idea of what i have and where i wanna go. So it turns out i have a Ranch 3.5" Short Arm no BL that i can tell, 33" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ. i have Dana 44 both front and rear. what do you guys think about a 2" BL. so i can get a little more clearance for some 35" rubber. i know a lot of ppl don't like the 3" BL for reliability issues and such. but 1.25" just doesn't seem like enough.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts