Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with the base head unit/speaker setup on my 17 sport. the 130S

I'm very confident with doing the install myself.

for headunits I was debating going with the Pioneer: 4200NEX or splurge and go for the 8200NEX.

speakers I'm kind of lost at, ive seen a bunch of people go with the mopar kicker upgrade? but I figure why not kick it up another level. so I'm open to ideas to get. I do plan on adding an amp and a subwoofer as well. that I might end up going with a Alpine type s or even an R.

any info would be greatly appreciated and what to buy accessory wise.

thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Speakers are simple, go out and listen to them and pick the ones you like.

Head units; Many people like the 4200 for the removable face plate, I am not one of them. I choose the 8200 and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speakers are simple, go out and listen to them and pick the ones you like.

Head units; Many people like the 4200 for the removable face plate, I am not one of them. I choose the 8200 and am very happy with it.
what else did you end up pairing up with that headunit? anyspecial cords or what not?

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Go up to Crutchfield to find the appropriate harnesses needed for your Jeep.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I would look at the Polk Audio speakers, and consider a 5 channel amp, and a subwoofer box with two subs in it. You can get a low profile sub box that won't take up too much space. Also, look for 4ohm speakers, not 2ohm speakers. Just my opinion. I believe the Polks are 4ohm speakers where as some of the Alpines are 2ohm speakers. I started with a cheap 5 channel amp, and then I went to the Alpine PDX-V9 and I have never been happier.

I also agree with everything that Terry said. But, speakers can be deceiving in a store. Strip the speakers down, if you can. Take off their amp and anything else and listen to them raw. Then, tweak the settings on the frequencies and see how they respond. Is the treble sound to your liking? Does it twang, or is it crisp? How about the midrange sound when you raise it? Is it clear or is it muddled? The bass really isn't that important because no component speaker is going to handle bass that well. But, you don't want the speakers to crackle with bass. Nor, do you want to raise the bass too high for component speakers. That is the job of the subwoofer.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I replaced all 4 big speakers with kickers off crutchfield not the kick10 but the kicker brand.
Removed the rb tweeters and added infinity tweeters to the front with the bass blockers that came with them.
I used the sound deafening every where I could stick it in rb and inside front lower speaker boxes and Polly filled everything tight.
It sounds way better for around 225$
It's not great by any means but a lot better.
Am not adding a amp until I place the HU.
I mess around a lot with the settings depending on what am listening to not fun.
And I can go about 20 on volume and it still sounds pretty good.
On 17 and under it sounds very good for what it is anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I added the Morel components in the front with sound deadened and poly fill and have very good bass. Sound bar I went with JBL's and would look at Morel coax next time fade is set to the front and they are only fill.
Will go to a headunit with CarPlay next, the new Pioneer 2330 it looks like. Will consider an amp that I can fit under the dash after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Just installed a pair of Infinity Refrence 6522ix's in the dash and holy cow! Talk about woke up the front room! I was always pretty disappointed with the stock system (even tho I had the Alpine upgrade) and as of replacing these, have replaced all the speakers including sub and couldn't be happier...now just to figure out what to do with that head unit...:smile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I cant comment on the mids or highs I don't own a 17 but for bass I will say check out Sundown, 1 Sundown SA 10 can easily handle 1000 RMS and needs a 1.0-1.5 Cft box. Sundown Subs hit hard and low, As of right now I have a Sundown SA-10 in my car(in a 1.1 cft box) running on a Cab 1600 amp @ 32 hz , its getting about 1200 RMS @ 2 ohms with the gain set so it don't clip. In my Tj im currently working on a subwoofer install.

With all that being said I find Polk Audio is a good brand and their highs aren't harsh, they seem to be softer then a few others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts