Registered
183 Posts
Carbon Offroad

Reactions: eSCAPEist

·
Registered
280 Posts
+1 on Revolution.
FWIW it's not just the spline count that's different, Non-Rubis are equal length shafts, Rubi shafts are not equal. Make sure you know which side is short/long before you tackle the job.
+3 on Revolution Gear and Axle rears . My set of 4340 Revs got beat on at AOP a few years ago and a quick call , together with a video of the run-out I’d managed to do to BOTH flanges equaled a replacement set at my door within a week. Excellent customer srvc, USA made, they wheel and back thier products. Plus, they use 4340 steel. They also have bearings and races a,ready pressed on.
I also know the fabulous company, Torque-Masters , is also producing the rear JK axleshafts / same product schematics and they, too, are a company of thier word and back thier fine products made in USA. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have revolutions, they're made in the USA and have a good warranty. Funny though I just bought new front revolution shafts, and they're stamped "foote". So I don't think they're out of business. Maybe just moved up to supplier status.
Foote here in Los Angeles forges all of Revolutions US made shafts.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Any after market rear shafts will be stronger at the flanges.
And even then they all can bend, but revolutions or ten factory are both much stronger than oem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would have liked to order revolutions, but I just could not pass up the price Northridge4x4 had on the ten factory rear shafts.. $343 assembled and shipped to me, nice sale they had a few days ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Any after market rear shafts will be stronger at the flanges.
And even then they all can bend, but revolutions or ten factory are both much stronger than oem.

Nail on the head here... you are exactly right :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would have liked to order revolutions, but I just could not pass up the price Northridge4x4 had on the ten factory rear shafts.. $343 assembled and shipped to me, nice sale they had a few days ago.
Wow, yeah that is a great price! Especially for us penny pinchers who have a huge mod list that we’re saving up for! Definitely not opposed to those complete axle kits either! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Foote here in Los Angeles forges all of Revolutions US made shafts.
I did not know that. Good intel my friend! I did find this video of them making the U.S. made axles, it must’ve been filmed at Foote! Pretty knarley stuff - and I’m around precision machinery daily!

https://youtu.be/zbZGJSHBo88

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
UPDATE:

So, on my last post, I mentioned that I was in contact directly with Brandon from Revolution Gear & Axle and that he informed me that the pre-assembled RAK51 U.S. Made, 32 Spline, Rubicon, Rear Axle Kit was OUT OF STOCK (huge bummer) and that he would contact me when he heard any further news from their manufacturer (what I now learned is Foote in L.A. - Thanks TRBOKEV!). I’ve been patiently [anxiously] waiting for the kits to come back in stock and Brandon actually informed me 2 days ago that the RAK51 kits were in fact IN STOCK and that they would be clear to process shipping out the following day if I placed the order (they offer free shipping online by the way). Big shoutout to Brandon from RG&A for putting up with my questions and updating me as I asked, either by email or on their Facebook page. I ALWAYS got a reply back within short timing and he seemed just as anxious and frustrated as myself to get the parts in. I also mentioned on here that I was in contact with some of their vendors who sell their stuff and I was in touch with Eric at X-Diff Gear & Axle (xdiffautoparts.com) who had also been in contact with Brandon about the kits after my inquiry with them on their website. X-Diff was able to offer a killer deal on the U.S. made axle kit at nearly $60 cheaper than straight from RGA and they also offer free shipping... (its worthy of mentioning that both RGA and X-Diff offered me a 5% military discount if you can send proof or ID). Because I’m saving for future mods I would be crazy not to go with the X-Diff deal over all so I pulled the trigger yesterday after Eric at X-Diff said that they had just received a fresh batch of them as well from RGA’s manufacturer. I’m not trying to sell anything for these guys but I just wanted to give them both a shoutout because I told them I would for them dealing with this whole ordeal personally and professionally. It really goes to show how important (good) customer service can be, especially in the tight-knit Jeep community where it seems all we do is converse and/or complain about stuff like this. I’ll be getting my RGA Axles in sometime next week and I’ll be installing them myself shortly after. I will post pics when done because we all love pics, am I right? :happyyes:

Thanks to everyone for the continued info! After all of my research, there is no right or wrong when it comes to better axle shafts. like GetRDun said, almost anything is better or beefier than stock and would be an upgrade nonetheless. However, being a machinist by trade and dealing with all types of metals on a daily basis where I need to know their strengths and weaknesses, I wanted to go with some 4340 shafts over the 4140 due to the added Nickel mixture into the alloy.

Just because this might help someone; AISI-SAE 4100 series is a Chromium-Molybdenum Steel, AISI-SAE 4300 series is a Nickle-Chromium-Molybdenum Steel. 4140 that’s been Hot Rolled, and normalized has a tensile strength of 148,000 PSI, and a yield of 95,000 PSI. 4340 that’s been Hot Rolled, and normalized has a tensile strength of 185,000 PSI, and a yield of 125,000. Just my input. There are a lot of factors in heat treating and spline cutting that play into the strength of the axles as well, and I may be over doing it but don’t we all have some kind of track record of doing that in this community? I take pride in everything that I do. Even when it comes to writing too much information on a post. :thumb:

-eSCAPEist

Reactions: TRBOKEV

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Glad to hear they got them in and let you order. I called last Monday, and was rather rudely told (not by Brandon, though Brandon is who won't respond to my emails) end of August/beginning of September, "Not too much longer Bud".

After I got off the phone with Revolution I ordered some Ten Factory shafts from Northridge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Glad to hear they got them in and let you order. I called last Monday, and was rather rudely told (not by Brandon, though Brandon is who won't respond to my emails) end of August/beginning of September, "Not too much longer Bud".

After I got off the phone with Revolution I ordered some Ten Factory shafts from Northridge.
I hate to hear that, Brandon always responded to my questions by email or on their FB page every time I needed something and he even responded right away when I asked if I could have some more RGA decals because the one in my box was trashed due to the weight of the packaging, no questions asked he asked for my address to send me some, lol, I thought that was pretty cool. But as soon as they got the batch, Brandon emailed me (as well as Eric from X-Diff who sold them cheaper) and I had them at my door the next week. Just put them on last night and it was a painless install. But hey, nothing wrong with Ten Factory from what I’ve seen, anything is better than stock! I just made my self wait for the extra strength 4340 shafts from them. I do love my RGA’s and I’m finally riding smooth!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yea, what he said.

I have a full set of carbons, front and rear. Preassembled and great price with 15 year warranty. I'm not very nice to my jeep, so far no issues.
Those sound pretty solid with that kind of warranty! I ended up going with the RGA 4340 Chrome-Moly U.S. made shafts though. I am pleased with my install and my wheels and axles are riding like new again! This was a great upgrade and I wouldn’t hesitate to go with another brand but I made myself wait out the delay for the added strength of the U.S. made 4340 shafts. Glad to know that those Carbons are holding up for y’all though!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Some pics from my install last night. Install was a breeze in my garage and I am thoroughly pleased with the outcome and quality of the RGA RAK51 American made Rubicon rear axle shafts. Just a tip for those who are looking forward to this; when you remove both wheels and put the axle on jack stands, make the stand on whatever side you are working on a notch or two taller so that the gear oil doesn’t pour out when you remove the old axle. I alternated sides for each shaft and I didn’t get any gear oil spill. Also, crawl under and spray the (2) 18mm brake assembly bolts and the (4) 18mm axle shaft nuts with PB Blaster a day before the install so that they come right off when you go to wrenching on them. Tight spaces don’t let you get much more than a regular wrench back there, ratcheting wrenches and PB Blaster were the bees knees for this whole job. Get 2 cans of brake cleaner to clean up the surrounding areas before pulling the old one out and be sure to remove the old bearing race from the axle housing carefully and clean the bearing surface thoroughly before installing the new shaft assembly. It would be wise to replace your rotor and brake pads after replacing the bent shaft too because of the uneven wear if they’ve been on the wobbly axle for a while... Anyway, Here’s the goods:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Glad its all good now. Out of morbid curiosity, did you spot the issue with the oem shaft?

Reactions: eSCAPEist

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Glad its all good now. Out of morbid curiosity, did you spot the issue with the oem shaft?
You know what?... out of the sheer intent to replace them as quick as possible late last night, I didn’t even remember to check it. I’ll definitely check out the bad one later when I get off work and I’ll post what I find.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Some pics from my install last night. Install was a breeze in my garage and I am thoroughly pleased with the outcome and quality of the RGA RAK51 American made Rubicon rear axle shafts. Just a tip for those who are looking forward to this; when you remove both wheels and put the axle on jack stands, make the stand on whatever side you are working on a notch or two taller so that the gear oil doesn’t pour out when you remove the old axle. I alternated sides for each shaft and I didn’t get any gear oil spill. Also, crawl under and spray the (2) 18mm brake assembly bolts and the (4) 18mm axle shaft nuts with PB Blaster a day before the install so that they come right off when you go to wrenching on them. Tight spaces don’t let you get much more than a regular wrench back there, ratcheting wrenches and PB Blaster were the bees knees for this whole job. Get 2 cans of brake cleaner to clean up the surrounding areas before pulling the old one out and be sure to remove the old bearing race from the axle housing carefully and clean the bearing surface thoroughly before installing the new shaft assembly. It would be wise to replace your rotor and brake pads after replacing the bent shaft too because of the uneven wear if they’ve been on the wobbly axle for a while... Anyway, Here’s the goods:

My apologies for opening an older thread. But I just couldn't find a Rubicon D44 rear Revolution-made axle shaft (or for that matter Carbon Offroad) that is 4340.

Can you share where you got your RGA 4340 rear Rubi axle shaft? All I could find was 4140 rear axle shafts with both Carbon and Revolution. (https://www.revolutiongear.com/product/07_18_jeep_rubicon_rear_32_spline_axle_american_made) RGA's now listing their SKU RAK51 as 4140 not 4340.

Although plenty of resellers are advertising RAK51 SKU as 4340 in their websites, but link above from RGA clearly shows it is 4140. (Resellers - https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/dana-44-jk-rubicon-rear-axle-kit-revolution/ | https://www.rubitrux.com/revolution-gear-and-axle-jk-rubicon-32-spine-rear-axle-kit-usa-made.html)

Did they stop making 4340s? Or did I misread the post here, because I did order front axle shaft that is 4340. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My apologies for opening an older thread. But I just couldn't find a Rubicon D44 rear Revolution-made axle shaft (or for that matter Carbon Offroad) that is 4340.

Can you share where you got your RGA 4340 rear Rubi axle shaft? All I could find was 4140 rear axle shafts with both Carbon and Revolution. (https://www.revolutiongear.com/product/07_18_jeep_rubicon_rear_32_spline_axle_american_made) RGA's now listing their SKU RAK51 as 4140 not 4340.

Although plenty of resellers are advertising RAK51 SKU as 4340 in their websites, but link above from RGA clearly shows it is 4140. (Resellers - https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/dana-44-jk-rubicon-rear-axle-kit-revolution/ | https://www.rubitrux.com/revolution-gear-and-axle-jk-rubicon-32-spine-rear-axle-kit-usa-made.html)

Did they stop making 4340s? Or did I misread the post here, because I did order front axle shaft that is 4340. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
No worries, that’s what these threads are for. That’s strange... they must have changed their manufacturing process and started using the 4140 material instead of the 4340...? Here is the link (and still a very good price) of where I ordered them from in 4340 before they changed that on RGA website.

http://xdiffautoparts.com/RAK51RG

Good luck!
-eSCAPEist

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
No worries, that’s what these threads are for. That’s strange... they must have changed their manufacturing process and started using the 4140 material instead of the 4340...? Here is the link (and still a very good price) of where I ordered them from in 4340 before they changed that on RGA website.

http://xdiffautoparts.com/RAK51RG

Good luck!
-eSCAPEist

Thank you @eSCAPEist! I'll check that out.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts