Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I don't know but the friends that sold me the jeep had some good timing. Now the clutch is failing me. I think that it is the slave cylinder as I just changed the master cylinder hoping to get lucky (me and the jeep must be married already). No Luck. It loses fluid quickly but no sign of where it it going or at least none that I have found yet. I think the bell housing is slowly filling with brake fluid.

So I will have to drop the tranny and change out the slave. I will change the clutch as I am there.

Please tell me this is a worth while cause and that jeeps are fun because it has mostly been me on my back looking up at a beat to hell jeep.

It was cheap enough so I can not complain about the price.

I am a persistent person with what I would call moderate skill and experience. I am looking forward to the challenge of a clutch job as I have never done one but my sanity is at stake at some point.

Have a great day all.

Bob

1991 2.5 5 speed

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
Bob, sometimes the master cylinders are bad right out of the box.
What I would do is return the current master and get another under warranty. When you install it, try reverse bleeding...that is pumping fluid up from the bottom until the master cylinder starts filling. Ask around the parts store for a pump to do so, or check out Harbor Freight for a conventional vacuum bleeder.
Before you do this though, check the Factory Service Manual to see if the master needs to be "bench bled" like a brake master cylinder. If so, simply follow the instructions in the FSM.

YJ clutches are buggers to bleed, but it's easier to spend some time bleeding your clutch than dropping the transmission only to find out there is no problem with the slave cylinder.

I don't think your bell housing will "fill up" with brake fluid. It'll leak out and you would see something somewhere. That's why I suspect a faulty master cylinder.

If your problem is actually the slave cylinder, make sure to get one from someone that you trust to guarantee it. There have been a multitude of posts here about premature clutch slave cylinder failure and some fail to work right upon installation.

For the cost of a clutch disc, pressure plate and pilot bearing, you're smart to change them while the transmission is out and you're changing the slave cylinder. Just make sure the pilot bearing is the one for your transmission.

Let us know how the job goes for you. Changing a clutch isn't too bad of a job. Just be sure to support the engine on the oil pan before you remove the skid plate (transmission cross-member).

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will look at it more carefully and try to find where it is leaking from. I spoke with the previous owners and they said that they changed out the slave cylinder recently so hopefully it just needs to be bled correctly and we may be back in action. I might have to replace the hose that connects the master cylinder to the slave.

I have to remember that this is a hobby that I enjoy.

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think I got it figured out and it is the slave cylinder. That sucks. Looks like I will be doing my first clutch on a vehicle. It was leaking from the bottom of the bell housing.

So a clutch and what ever else I can do to the beast while I got her clothes off.

Thanks all,

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts