Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently went up to 37s and looks like my fears are reality. I'm running 17x8 level 8 trackers that have 4.25" of backspacing which looks like it's not enough to clear my 37x12.5 hankooks so it's time for some spidertrax. I'm currently rubbing on my frame and metalcloak LCAs. Anyone know roughly the best backspacing? I've read that 4" and below seems golden. I was thinking either 1" or 1.5" spacers. Are there any major downsides to larger hub centric spacers?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The downsides are they require maintenance in the form of checking the torque regularly as in when you rotate tires and they increase bending stresses on the bearings and ball joints so particularly the stock ball joints will wear faster. In spite of the drawbacks many of us have and continue to use them.

How tall is your lift? I am surprised you are rubbing with 4.25" backspacing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running a 3.5in OME lift with a prorock 44 front axle and RCV shafts. I'm aware of the maintenance and while I'm not overly fond of it it seems like a necessary evil. Maybe I read something wrong but I have 17x8 level 8 trackers which are listed at -6mm offset and an online calculator gave me 4.25" backspacing. I'm running 37x12.5R17 Hankook MT RT03's. I've heard you can shim your steering too but I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of making my turning radius even wider than what it is already.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
They don't increase stress on the ball joints or bearings any more than a wheel with the right size backspacing, as far as 'maintenance', of course you have to check the torque when you rotate your tires or any other time you take off a tire, do you not now ?

And be sure to get the right kind of spacers, judging by your mentioned parts list your not the type to save a buck here and there, so make sure you get these type of spacers -

and not these -

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't increase stress on the ball joints or bearings any more than a wheel with the right size backspacing, as far as 'maintenance', of course you have to check the torque when you rotate your tires or any other time you take off a tire, do you not now ?
I guess I should say liability rather than maintenance. I dont see them adding any sizable stress more than a heavier wheel would, it's just one more part that could potentially fail (not saying that good quality hubcentric spacers have a likelihood of breaking). I'm definitely planning on getting good quality spacers. I've seen spidertrax recommended everywhere so that was my plan.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I just pulled my Spidertrax off that have around 10000 miles on them and like new that I might be selling. I can say that after 10K miles they were so secure that I have no doubt that if properly installed they would go the life of the vehicle without issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check ebay for the Spidertrax store, they sell "blemished" spacers at a good discount. I grabbed some and couldn't even tell they were blemished aside from the price I paid. They add them early in the week.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds like these spacers are good quality. No vibrations etc from these? I've tried spacers on an Audi before and it was less than ideal. Are these hub centric to jeeps?

·
Super Moderator
16,382 Posts
I'm using RedRock 4x4 spacers from Extreme Terrain and having no issues whatsoever with them. They are hub and wheel centric and fit perfectly. I know the spidertrax are very popular but the RedRock spacers are $120 shipped. I didn't need or want the black anodizing so I chose to save a few bucks.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Spidertrax are hub centric. I'm selling some in the want ads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts