Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a newb here..

So I jacked up my Jeep today in order to align the toe-in. While I had it jacked up, I figured I'd give everything a once over. I put a pry bar under the tires in order to see if I could see any play in the ball joints. Well the ball joints seemed fine to me. I couldn't see any play at all. But the wheels seemed to move quite a bit, more-so on the passenger side. You could look at the brake rotor and see it moving top to bottom. The dust plate was stable, and the rotor was definitely moving compared to the dust plate.

Is this normal? Is it an indication of a bad bearing, or a loose axle nut?

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Bad wheel bearing if you had movement in all direction or a bad tie rod end if the movement was only left to right. Wheel bearings will usually make a lot of noise when that bad. Do you hear anything unusual?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad wheel bearing if you had movement in all direction or a bad tie rod end if the movement was only left to right. Wheel bearings will usually make a lot of noise when that bad. Do you hear anything unusual?
The movement I was seeing was up and down, with a pry bar prying the wheel up. I set the Jeep on the ground and had my gf turn the steering wheel back and forth. I saw very minimal play in the tie rod end, but it didn't look comparable to how much the wheel was moving up and down with the pry bar.

I have 33" duratracs, so they're not the quietest tires ever, but I sure can't hear anything. I've only owned the Jeep about 2 months, so it's all normal to me.

What else can I check to see if the bearings are bad?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Typically to check wheel bearings, you jack up the tire and grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if you can wiggle it. Should be able to see some movement and hear some metal on metal contact

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After doing some more research, this sounds like the issue. Anyone have recomendations on which bearings to buy since I have the lift and 33" tires?

Seems like I've seen some good things on Timkens on here. Do I need the entire hub or just the bearing?

Looking on Rock Auto for the entire hub, I see Timken 513084, or Timken HA597449. Whats the difference?

For the bearing, I see Timken SBK1 which is like $10.. Am I looking at the right thing there?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
On TJs, the hub assembly is the bearing. If you were looking at bearing only, it was probably for the rear axle shafts. Timken or Spicer are safe bets for unit bearings.

It's a relatively easy process to change, but the tools are a bit less common than usual. The three bolts holding the unit bearing to the outer C require a 12 point 13mm socket, and do NOT have much room behind them for a ratchet/adapter, so make sure you have a short socket that fits your ratchet drive and breaker bar. The axle nut is a big one, and usually on there pretty tight. Have a 6 point 36mm socket and large breaker bar (or impact gun with some balls) on hand.

**Also make sure you lift from the axle when adjusting toe. If you lift from the body, your wheels toe IN crazy far when the suspension droops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts