Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased an LJ and noticed the bump stop and cup were loose. The bolt worked its way completely out and I found the whole bumpstop wedged in-between the coil spring.

I sprayed a little WD-40 through the bolt hole on the top of the cup to help slip the rubber bumpstop out later on.

I was able to pick the bumpstop/cup up, and screw the bolt back into the top perch. After I got a few threads in, I put vice grips around the rubber bumpstop and used the leverage from the spring to work the rubber bumpstop out of the cup.

Then, lifted the frame to drop the spring a little (just enough to get my tools in).
Added some lock tight, and bolted the cup back in with 15mm socket.

With a flat crowbar (with towel to prevent scratching) I was able to wedge the rubber bumpstop back in. A little WD-40 here works well too.

Overall, it took some time to figure out, but it was a success since I didn't have to pull the spring.
Hope this helps someone in the same situation.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Nice procedure, that will be helpful for others in that situation. That is about the only way I've found that works for that situation as well. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im glad to know this was a common approach. At first, I was at a loss on what to do.

It might be all in my mind, but it it feels like the jeep drives more stable... Or it could be that a large piece of rubber is no longer wedged between my coils on the right spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts