Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 95 with a 4.0 and auto trans. the shifter on the column functions as it should, but it's loose and kinda flops around, is there spring in there thats worn out or something? Anyone else ever had this issue? Its really more annoying that anything but I would like to fix it. Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i dont think there is a spring there are slots where the shifter slides into they r probley worn out

·
RUBISEAN
464 Posts
there is a spring, it is simple to fix. you will have to go to a salvage yard and remove the spring from just about any 80's to mid 90's gm steering column. use a small punch to remove the pin that holds the shift lever in place then remove the lever. now look inside where you removed the lever and you will see a small spring about 1 " long and 1/4" in wide. use either a pick or needle nose pliers to pull the spring out, then simply reverse the process to install the spring in your column. the reason i suggested a salvageyard is because that spring is only sold with the shifter bowl from the dealer. it is literally a 2 minute repair once you have the replacement spring

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I might pull it out tomorrow and see if I can find a replacement at the hardware store, if not, off to the junkyard on monday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts