Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This jeep is almost ready to drive around the block and hopefully on some trails in the near future.

I got the loose steering wheel torx bolts tightened up and that is great news. It took me all day but I knew it was going to be a bit tough. Now that I did it once it hopefully won't take me that long to do again as I did not put in the 3 torx bolts that hold the plastic pieces that the turn signal switches go into. A word of advise is to leave all your parts in one place so that when you are done you may be done. I have it all back together then look down at the floor board and see those bolts.

Its all good as I need to change out the wiper combo switch as the stalk broke off and I could not get the little piece out. Why I did not bother was that it seemed as if their is very little room to get the wiring harness through the column. I did not try too hard as I just wanted to get it back together and was thinking that I would just live without it for now as I live in AZ where in does not rain much. Anyway after further thought I should get it fixed as there is a lot of functionality that I am giving up on.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and if anyone need to tighten up a steering column expect it to take some time. If you know someone who has done it before it should be much easier.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I think I have answered my own question. Looking threw the service manual there is a support that I must remove. I saw this but only two bolts and not the 4 bolts that I will have to remove. It could be that my garage in Phoenix AZ was about 112 degrees that may have affected my willingness to proceed. Luckily my wife hates the jeep and will likely try to force me to sell it once it is all good. This thing does not even leak anymore. I will have to show some pics just to see what you all think of the old girl. (the car....I am referring to the jeep, not my wife)

Bob

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bob, if memory serves me correctly, there is a flat hard plastic conduit that runs the length of the lower column that can be removed by unlocking an sliding out the bottom. Once you remove it the wires for the wiper switch will come out and go back in relatively easy. Just remember to reinstall the conduit to avoid future electrical shorts. Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts