Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize, I am aware that steering has been discussed many times on this forum and I have read many of the threads devoted to it. However, I’d like all the info that relates to my Jeep in one spot that I can find easily, because so far this forum is BY FAR the best resource I’ve found for all things Wrangler related.
I custom ordered my 21’ Wrangler High Altitude at the end of Oct and 27 days later it magically arrived here in Montana way quicker than I ever expected. She’s GORGEOUS & exactly what I wanted. However, the loose steering is so annoying. I don’t enjoy micro managing my steering non-stop. Before ordering I took a 2019 Rubicon and a 2020 Willys on test drives. I noticed the loose steering but when I asked about it, I was told it would be significantly less noticeable on my 2021. It’s not.
I’m looking for advice on the best way to make a significant improvement to the sloppy steering. Thank you for your time, and info is appreciated.
Here she is !

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You should have the new steering box, so I would start with checking your air pressure in your tires. Tires in the pic just look over inflated, which is not unusual when you take delivery.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes, the tires are substantially over-inflated at the factory, for transportation and storage. Most dealerships aren't going to let air out of the tires to bring it down to the recommend psi.

Also, the steering of a front solid-axle jeep is naturally a bit less precise than an independent suspension vehicle's rack-and-pinion steering. So don't try to compare the jeep's steering to that of other vehicles. There's a lot to like about jeeps, so the less precise steering is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You could also consider upgrading your steering stabilizer. This is a fairly inexpensive upgrade. I had a noticeable reduction in the looseness of my steering when I swapped mine out. I've used the FOX stabilizers on my last 2 Jeeps. They're durable, and they won't break the bank.

BTW, I love the painted bumper. Nice touch.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Check with your dealer there was a computer flash for the electric assist steering. My daughters Jeep had it done and that solved her steering issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
As mentioned by others. The easiest thing is to check the air pressure in the tires first (on cold (not having been driven on yet that day) tires). When I bought my 2014 Willy's JKU new in 2014, the first thing I noticed was the tire pressure was about 3 - 4 PSI higher cold than they should be. After doing that, it felt right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s a cold day here in Montana, I had to put an actual coat on to go check my tire pressure. All four tires are sitting at 35.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Good looking Snazzberry. Thats the 1st one ive seen actual pics of.

I would suggest upgrading your steering stabilizer and adding a steering box/track bar brace.

Id go with a Fox ATS stabilizer and the Synergy brace

Reactions: cyoung9799

·
Registered
23 Posts
FWIW, I bought a 2021 Willys over the weekend and only have about 100 miles on it, but they are interstate miles and it's rock solid.

My tires were at 37.

G.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hmm i ordered my 2021 Rubicon U on 10/22 it came in on 11/17 - so we have the same build time frame. My tires were at 45, once I let the air down to 35 my steering was great. You should have the cast iron steering box. Stupid question, does it ALWAYS do it on every road?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry to hear your having steering problems. I am driving my 2021 Jl 4 door, 3.6 v6. auto, and I don't have any stearing wander or play! Now this is a jeep made for off road so its nowhere near as precise as my 05 Mustang was. I also test drove a two-door and 4 door 2020 keeps on lots and they seamed to steer fine to me also. I haven't found any with sloppy steering so far!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it the same steering issue the 2018 and 2019's have that have been posted on this forum? The wander and 3" of play left to right in the steering wheel to keep it straight?
My 2019 was given all the "fixes" via the voluntary recalls with the new steering dampener, etc and it didn't do anything. Dealer refused to do the steering software flash, so after 4 trips to dealer on this issue, I just gave up. My lease ends in June and I was hoping the 2021 and onward models would fix the issue. My stock 08 with 80k miles drives like a champ...

·
Registered
2021 JLUW 3.6 eTorque
75 Posts
My 2021 JLUW also requires more steering correction on the highway than my outgoing 2018 Grand Cherokee. It's not as bad as my old 86 CJ-7 that were on 35s, but it's noticeable. I've never owned a modern Wrangler until today, so I don't have a frame of reference to compare my current experience with. I will say that while slightly annoying, I more or less expected this due to the solid front axle. The steering wheel does seem to have a slight dead zone at TDC. Mine was built October this year.

BTW, this is with all 4 tires at 37 psi. I think I'm going to air down to 36, perhaps 35 psi to see if it improves a little more.

·
Registered
2020 Rubicon JL / Sting Gray
4 Posts
Yup. +1 for the Air pressure at 46 psi when i picked up my 2020 2dr Rubicon JL. Airing to down to 34 has benefited the response in the steering to tires, for sure (i have diff tires). Also upgraded my steering stabilizer to Falcon adjustable . FOX is just as good. That helped it a even more . BUT, the hands down BEST upgrade was to get (IMO) is a more beefed up Track bar. I went with YETI HD. YETI XD™ JK Adjustable Track Bar

Now, I believe if you combine those 2 suspension components together, I think you'll be very happy. Some folks will also upgrade tie rods but, I'd start with these simple bolt ons. They are well worth it. I came from a '04 Subaru WRX sport wagon that had precise steering . Our Jeeps will never be like that . But, for a Jeep, the above setup has worked out quite well. My next upgrade is FOX shocks, to help with all around stabilizing in the turns and a general firmer, controlled ride .

Enjoy your new Jeep!

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
80,095 Posts
I don't own one of these, mine is a 2013 JKR, and the steering is tight, and holds the road great. No wandering. My friend Beastmaster our Administrator, has a new JT, with 35's. I have driven it, and have not noticed any steering issue with it. It handles on highway very similar to mine.

Reactions: Strommen95

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm i ordered my 2021 Rubicon U on 10/22 it came in on 11/17 - so we have the same build time frame. My tires were at 45, once I let the air down to 35 my steering was great. You should have the cast iron steering box. Stupid question, does it ALWAYS do it on every road?
Hi. I’m at 35 too.
It does it on every road, but it’s worse if the road is crap. I’m kind of getting used to it, but then I drive my other vehicle and it’s such a noticeable difference. Constant micro-managing the steering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 2021 JLUW also requires more steering correction on the highway than my outgoing 2018 Grand Cherokee. It's not as bad as my old 86 CJ-7 that were on 35s, but it's noticeable. I've never owned a modern Wrangler until today, so I don't have a frame of reference to compare my current experience with. I will say that while slightly annoying, I more or less expected this due to the solid front axle. The steering wheel does seem to have a slight dead zone at TDC. Mine was built October this year.

BTW, this is with all 4 tires at 37 psi. I think I'm going to air down to 36, perhaps 35 psi to see if it improves a little more.
I’m at 35 psi, and I’m going to drop it a bit more. My steering issue is slightly worse than the two Wranglers I test drove, so it’s frustrating. The 2019’s steering play was instantly noticeable, and the 2020 was better so I assumed my 2021 would be better yet. But it’s honestly the sloppiest steering of the bunch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup. +1 for the Air pressure at 46 psi when i picked up my 2020 2dr Rubicon JL. Airing to down to 34 has benefited the response in the steering to tires, for sure (i have diff tires). Also upgraded my steering stabilizer to Falcon adjustable . FOX is just as good. That helped it a even more . BUT, the hands down BEST upgrade was to get (IMO) is a more beefed up Track bar. I went with YETI HD. YETI XD™ JK Adjustable Track Bar

Now, I believe if you combine those 2 suspension components together, I think you'll be very happy. Some folks will also upgrade tie rods but, I'd start with these simple bolt ons. They are well worth it. I came from a '04 Subaru WRX sport wagon that had precise steering . Our Jeeps will never be like that . But, for a Jeep, the above setup has worked out quite well. My next upgrade is FOX shocks, to help with all around stabilizing in the turns and a general firmer, controlled ride .

Enjoy your new Jeep!
Thank you, I appreciate the details and will look into these options. I want to lift my JL 2.5 inches and get larger tires, but I’m concerned it will complicate the steering issue I’m having.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it the same steering issue the 2018 and 2019's have that have been posted on this forum? The wander and 3" of play left to right in the steering wheel to keep it straight?
My 2019 was given all the "fixes" via the voluntary recalls with the new steering dampener, etc and it didn't do anything. Dealer refused to do the steering software flash, so after 4 trips to dealer on this issue, I just gave up. My lease ends in June and I was hoping the 2021 and onward models would fix the issue. My stock 08 with 80k miles drives like a champ...
Yep, it wanders and I’m constantly correcting driving down a straight, level road. Frustrating. It’s a gorgeous vehicle and I love it, but I’m irritated.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts