Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2021 JLUW 3.6 eTorque
75 Posts
I’m at 35 psi, and I’m going to drop it a bit more. My steering issue is slightly worse than the two Wranglers I test drove, so it’s frustrating. The 2019’s steering play was instantly noticeable, and the 2020 was better so I assumed my 2021 would be better yet. But it’s honestly the sloppiest steering of the bunch.
Have you asked your dealership's service department if a software update exists for the electric power steering?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I would correct tire pressure to 32psi. And check wheel alignment toe value before adding any modifications. Then maybe a heavy duty steering stabilizer. Not sure if this Jeep has electronic assist or not, but as stated before check programming or upgrades at dealer. A proper alignment tech can verify if there is there is anything out of norm as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tire pressure certainly plays a part in this. I’d definitely have the dealer check this out. With that said, Jeeps just “don’t” drive like most modern cars. Solid axles, etc. if your is not as tight as the other you drove it definitely needs to be corrected. Nice looking Jeep you’ve got, first one that color I’ve seen👍

·
Registered
‘20 Punk’n Recon
1 Posts
Yep, it wanders and I’m constantly correcting driving down a straight, level road. Frustrating. It’s a gorgeous vehicle and I love it, but I’m irritated.
Hi Shelly,

Have you had the alignment checked? Toe and caster are the measurements to look at. Caster in particular has an affect on wandering. I’m not sure how the HAs are but my two JLRs had caster that was way too low at 4.7*. I put new adjustable LCAs on to get my caster closer to 7 and it makes a huge difference.

Your ‘21 will have the new steering box, which is great. Another thing to check is the torque settings on the steering components.

Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can't offer any help with regard to the steering but your Wrangler is gorgeous.
I'd head back to the dealer and make them fix it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 JLUW 3.6 eTorque
75 Posts
FWIW, I dropped the pressure in my tires even more to 33psi (30F outside ambient). No TPMS light and it drives significantly better. I still need to do a chalk test to confirm but I'm pretty happy with it now. It's definitely not as squirrelly at speed on the highway.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2020 Willys had issue from day 1. Jeep released a new steering box (steel vs aluminum) which fixed my steering issues. Check your steering box. The steel model is black vs silver (aluminum).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I understand your irritation, I have the same issue on a June 2018 model. The dealers are not much help as most people do not complain about the problem and just live with it. I am at 60,000 and other than this issue it has been great but I have not found a solution. I am hoping a good shop has ideas when I go to do a lift setup. Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since my last post FCA called me out of the blue, last Monday. She wanted to know if I was having any issues. Haha not my first rodeo. I now have a steering box claim for the TSB notice and a repair date set up 1/4/21 thru that Reps. call. She said a new box would be dedicated to my claim #.
Do not waste your time with a dealer service writer. Contact FCA and file a claim with them first. She said all she needed to her was I am experiencing steering wander. No test drive required. I needed an appointment date for her to proceed with the claim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since my last post FCA called me out of the blue, last Monday. She wanted to know if I was having any issues. Haha not my first rodeo. I now have a steering box claim for the TSB notice and a repair date set up 1/4/21 thru that Reps. call. She said a new box would be dedicated to my claim #.
Do not waste your time with a dealer service writer. Contact FCA and file a claim with them first. She said all she needed to her was I am experiencing steering wander. No test drive required. I needed an appointment date for her to proceed with the claim.
I wander how they got your contact info, I am not sure who to contact. I will try to look them up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, just wanted to throw in that I have a 2021Sport S and also experience the over sensitive steering. Some days I feel like I can barely keep it on the road... Took it to the dealer and got the “Jeep thing” response. I did put bigger tires on it and that helped significantly, but still a little loosey goosey. I may at some point try a new stabilizer or track bar, but admittedly don’t want to put money into a brand new vehicle just to make it feel driveable. I submitted a complaint with the NHTSA. Overall I love my Jeep, but some days it does feel like an accomplishment that I got where I wanted to go in one piece. If you are still having problems I suggest also taking it back to the dealer and or submitting a complaint with NHSTA. Only when there is enough buzz about this will they do something about it. I think love of the brand and the ability to swap to after market parts has made it so that these problems can endure for far longer than necessary. Plain and simple it’s not ok that brand new vehicles are defective in their most basic function.

·
Commercial Member
7,686 Posts
Hi there, just wanted to throw in that I have a 2021Sport S and also experience the over sensitive steering. Some days I feel like I can barely keep it on the road... Took it to the dealer and got the “Jeep thing” response. I did put bigger tires on it and that helped significantly, but still a little loosey goosey. I may at some point try a new stabilizer or track bar, but admittedly don’t want to put money into a brand new vehicle just to make it feel driveable. I submitted a complaint with the NHTSA. Overall I love my Jeep, but some days it does feel like an accomplishment that I got where I wanted to go in one piece. If you are still having problems I suggest also taking it back to the dealer and or submitting a complaint with NHSTA. Only when there is enough buzz about this will they do something about it. I think love of the brand and the ability to swap to after market parts has made it so that these problems can endure for far longer than necessary. Plain and simple it’s not ok that brand new vehicles are defective in their most basic function.
Have you tried contacting Jeep Cares at the number on the post before yours?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dealer service writers are a waste of time. Call the number.
JeepCares Brianna direct #844-533-7928 extension 406-1582

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 2020 JLU Willy's ( June 2020 build) also has the same wandering, constant correction issue. Tried different tire pressure, different wheels and tires and its still present.

At 6k miles its due for another oil change and I was planning to have the dealer take a look but it sounds like I need to call Brianna first. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2020 JLU Willy's ( June 2020 build) also has the same wandering, constant correction issue. Tried different tire pressure, different wheels and tires and its still present.

At 6k miles its due for another oil change and I was planning to have the dealer take a look but it sounds like I need to call Brianna first. Thanks for the tip.
The 2020’s still have the old gearbox. I believe your vehicle is covered under the TSB and all you would need to do is take it to the dealership. I could be mistaken though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some dealers are pretty responsive. My '18 has the issue. I just went in, talked to the service advisor, she placed the order for a new steering box. I have been putting it off because I thought it was going to be a pita, but I was pleasantly surprised. Now let's see how long it will take to come in.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts