Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Took mine in today for the replacement. Dealer ordered the steering box last week per my complaint and TSB reference.

Steering feels a little tighter but I need to do some highway driving to confirm its truly better. I want to verify that the software was updated. I read else where that the dealer would use the service computer / DealerConnect to print out an "Options Report" to verify the current software. 70F should be listed as the correct version for the upgraded steering box.

Update: After speaking with the dealer, the software update was the RRT 20-054.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2 door 80th anniversary (Sport) model. Drove mine home from the dealership, about 10 miles, called the sales guy and told him there was a problem with the steering. Steering is just loose. Seems like there is a dead spot where you turn the steering wheel a few degrees before anything happens. Took it in, technician drove it, said nothing was wrong, a service guy said there was a TSB, ordered a new steering box. When the box came in I dropped off the Jeep, 6 hours later they said they didn't know how the parts department ordered the part because it wouldn't fit my Jeep Had only 300 miles on the Jeep so they said to just keep driving and see if it improves. I'm no genius, but I'm not sure how it's going to get better, tighter, on it's own. Suggestions?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
80,725 Posts
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2 door 80th anniversary (Sport) model. Drove mine home from the dealership, about 10 miles, called the sales guy and told him there was a problem with the steering. Took it in, technician drove it, said nothing was wrong, a service guy said there was a TSB, ordered a new steering box. When the box came in I dropped off the Jeep, 6 hours later they said they didn't know how the parts department ordered the part because it wouldn't fit my Jeep Had only 300 miles on the Jeep so they said to just keep driving and see if it improves. I'm no genius, but I'm not sure how it's going to get better, tighter, on it's own. Suggestions?
[/QWelcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.UOTE]
OMG..what a response..just terrible service. @JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it the same steering issue the 2018 and 2019's have that have been posted on this forum? The wander and 3" of play left to right in the steering wheel to keep it straight?
My 2019 was given all the "fixes" via the voluntary recalls with the new steering dampener, etc and it didn't do anything. Dealer refused to do the steering software flash, so after 4 trips to dealer on this issue, I just gave up. My lease ends in June and I was hoping the 2021 and onward models would fix the issue. My stock 08 with 80k miles drives like a champ...
Nope its terrible on the 2021 :( I have had my 2021 Wrangler Willy's for about a month and at highway speeds its a real pain with constant overcorrections. Asked service to take a look at it when I brought the jeep in for another problem (backup camera) they claim they could not reproduce the problem and there was nothing wrong. I was told its just the nature of an offroad capable vehicle. To which I have to say BS. I had an Xterrs Pro 4x that had nice tight steering. I really wanted to love this vehicle, but the steering is such a bummer and so far service has been a dud.

·
Registered
2021 JLUW 3.6 eTorque
75 Posts
An Xterra has IFS. That's an apple to oranges comparison.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
80,725 Posts
Nope its terrible on the 2021 :( I have had my 2021 Wrangler Willy's for about a month and at highway speeds its a real pain with constant overcorrections. Asked service to take a look at it when I brought the jeep in for another problem (backup camera) they claim they could not reproduce the problem and there was nothing wrong. I was told its just the nature of an offroad capable vehicle. To which I have to say BS. I had an Xterrs Pro 4x that had nice tight steering. I really wanted to love this vehicle, but the steering is such a bummer and so far service has been a dud.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Yep, for some..the Safety issue continues..VERY SAD AND DANGEROUS.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Check if the steering box is black or aluminum color. If the latter, you have a recall to change it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased the same JL in Billet Silver and I have the same steering issue. I thought I just had to live with it but I'm glad to find there are some things I can do to make improvements. It's at the RV shop (adding RV tow bars) but when I get it back tomorrow I'll try reducing the PSI on tires. If that doesn't make significant improvements I'll look into the steering stabilizer. Haven't read all the way through the thread and but looking forward to how that works out for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Add one more to the list. 2021 Rubicon 4 door, 192 miles does a nice Viennese waltz down the highway. this is my third Rubicon and it's not even close to being right. My service people acknowledged the poor steering and ordered some parts and will check the wheel alignment. I am anxious for a prompt resolution.

·
Registered
24 Posts

A few videos of what I'm experiencing. Hopeful someone can identify a solution. Other than the steering, love the Jeep.
Thanks
Andy,
I’m betting you have LSS "lose steering syndrome". I’m afraid many wrangler drivers think this is the way it’s supposed to be. Not so. Bring it in and complain. Hopefully the problem is targeted, acknowledged, and fixed. Good luck!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts