Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
97,312 Posts
Jumping in on this thread as I have been preparing to buy my first Jeep this month. Drove 3 separate 2-door Wranglers and another 3 4-door Wranglers at 3 different dealerships, Sport and Freedom... the 2-doors were almost unbearable with steering and I asked multiple people at each dealer, all of whom replied it is just that way. This forum and contacts at Jeep Cares has been very helpful. I certainly won't buy until I drive the exact vehicle - but will also push service to do a complete check on some of the areas mentioned before signing any papers... Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: csanna

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 Unlimited Willys, 2k miles. I had been having the steering issues as everyone else. A lot of play in the wheel and when I would center the wheel it would go to the right. I took it in today to have it looked at they determined that is was out of align. They realigned and rotated the tires . That helped the veering to the right issue. They compared the steering wheel play to another one on the lot and determined mine had to much play. Even though it already had the new steering box they replaced it and it really seems to have helped

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
97,312 Posts
I have a 2021 Unlimited Willys, 2k miles. I had been having the steering issues as everyone else. A lot of play in the wheel and when I would center the wheel it would go to the right. I took it in today to have it looked at they determined that is was out of align. They realigned and rotated the tires . That helped the veering to the right issue. They compared the steering wheel play to another one on the lot and determined mine had to much play. Even though it already had the new steering box they replaced it and it really seems to have helped

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. It's brand new and under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reading through all these comments, this was MY THOUGHTS exactly! Keeping in mind we paid out a large chunk of moo-laa for this Jeep.

Then I'm suppost to pick my new 2021 JL Sahara up this Friday. I'm reading all this and wondering did I screw up by ordering a new Jeep? Should I have kept my 2015 Sahara? I think the dealer has my trade sold?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add one more to the list. 2021 Rubicon 4 door, 192 miles does a nice Viennese waltz down the highway. this is my third Rubicon and it's not even close to being right. My service people acknowledged the poor steering and ordered some parts and will check the wheel alignment. I am anxious for a prompt resolution.
I just bought 2021 Sport S and also have a signficant waltz - which is made worse by the much higher driving speeds in the UAE (160kph/100mph) highway speeds. 34# in the tires helps a lot (48# at delivery...), along with driving no higher than 80 mph. The dealers’ shop claim the alignment “is in spec” so parallel paths of harassing them more and finding a third party to really check the alignment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To all of you being told it’s a Jeep thing and it’s suppose to drive like that, keep going to another dealer until it gets fixed. Your Jeep, as a minimum, should have a steering wheel that’s as tight, and safe as all of the other cars in your household. You should be able to take your hands off the wheel and have it track reasonably straight, depending on the road you’re on - and for sure on a flat smoothly paved road. I’m the 3rd owner of my 46K Rubicon and when I bought it, I immediately noticed the steering issue. Honestly, at that time my 78’ John Deere rider mower had better steering than my Jeep. Anyway, I had a dealer do the swap and now the Jeep drives laser straight and the steering is nice and tight - feels like I’m in my 2017 Nissan Maxima.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Kate I’m having the exact issues mentioned here in this forum. I have a 2021 Rubicon eco diesel with 3756 miles I’ve played around wirh the tire pressure which has helped but I still have about 3 inches of play in the steering. It seems to be getting worse.

Hello all!

I apologize for the delay and hope I grabbed everyone within the last two months that had an issue. We had an internal error that wasn't pulling messages in so we want to address anyone having a current vehicle concern.

If anyone would like to discuss their concern further, please send us a private message!

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
97,312 Posts
Hi, Kate I’m having the exact issues mentioned here in this forum. I have a 2021 Rubicon eco diesel with 3756 miles I’ve played around wirh the tire pressure which has helped but I still have about 3 inches of play in the steering. It seems to be getting worse.
That is way to much play. A trip back to your Dealer is in order.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,558 Posts
Let's chat too, Jstuart83! Please send me a private message with more details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
7 Posts
i also have the 3" play with no resistance felt through the steering wheel...It's called SLOP in the steering system. This is a hazardous condition. The Jeep steers like an old abused unmaintained vehicle. I hope Jeep can fix this....

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
i also have the 3" play with no resistance felt through the steering wheel...It's called SLOP in the steering system. This is a hazardous condition. The Jeep steers like an old abused unmaintained vehicle. I hope Jeep can fix this....
What year?

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,558 Posts
Hey, joliett. I see your private message now and will continue to work with you there. Thanks.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
67 Posts
Was there a change or upgrade jeep did on the boxes ? My 2021 seems fine , I have a build date of march 2021 steering is tight so far .
Any differences with Diesel vs gas ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Was there a change or upgrade jeep did on the boxes ? My 2021 seems fine , I have a build date of march 2021 steering is tight so far .
Me too. Driving 2021 2dr Rubicon with the new electric steering box. No issues whatsoever. I drive large commercial trucks, sport cars and family sedans to compare too.
I think it's important for those thinking of purchasing a new Jeep that this problem is not shared by everyone.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Me too. Driving 2021 2dr Rubicon with the new electric steering box. No issues whatsoever. I drive large commercial trucks, sport cars and family sedans to compare too.
I think it's important for those thinking of purchasing a new Jeep that this problem is not shared by everyone.
Agreed.

I have a 2020 JLU with the Aluminum box, and my steering is tight and responsive. I don't have any of the steering issues people have mentioned. I've read through most of the "steering" threads I've been able to find, and since, have been SUPER sensitive to my steering behavior. Right at 10,000 miles now (plus probably 1,000 miles or more in flat-tow behind my camper), and nothing abnormal to report. So no, it's not normal, and no, it's not universal.

I'll likely be putting a lift and tires on soon, so I'll be paying close attention to any steering effects that might have...

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
Our 2020 JLU, which has the old style aluminum steering box, doesn't have any steering issues. From reading these threads, people would think that all pre 2021 Jeeps have a steering problem. They do not.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts