Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm new to Jeeps, so go easy on me. I come from the world of building and racing superbikes, sports cars, and pickups to haul them.

I recently bought an 07 unlimited and the steering seems awful loose. The jeep drives great, but there just seems to be a lot of play in the steering wheel. Same with the gearbox (but that may be the longer shifter making me feel that way)???

I'd appreciate any insight y'all have for me. Thanks in advance.

-Darren

·
Registered
929 Posts
Check to see if you have stock steering stabilizer and what tires do you have? and Axle?
I am having the same problem and I narrowed it down to the steering stabilizer because I went to 35's and a Dana 44 up front

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Rod ends wear out. Steering boxes wear out. With an older, high mileage vehicle, you are going to have to replace these parts.

the drag link has 2 rod ends, the tie rod has 2 rod ends, your balljoints may be worn, your steering box may have play (but that is the least likely).

Start replacing parts with quality aftermarket stuff, I use Moog everything in my superduty, JK's have a lot more options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just replaced ball joints, so it's not them.

It has the Sahara setup on it now, but I'm installing a 2.5 inch lift this week and 35 on 17s...

I'd rather not throw money at it and hope it sticks. A little better idea of what might be going on would definitely help. I know how to tear down, diagnose, and build bikes..... Jeeps, not so much, lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 08 does this also. for instance if I'm on a straight black topped road and I let go of the steering wheel my jk will dart over into the other lane then a second later dart back over into the bike lane. No site seeing for me lol. I have 3inch evo/bilstein with aftermarket track at and as sitting on 35.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
My 08 does this also. for instance if I'm on a straight black topped road and I let go of the steering wheel my jk will dart over into the other lane then a second later dart back over into the bike lane. No site seeing for me lol. I have 3inch evo/bilstein with aftermarket track at and as sitting on 35.
Do you run caster correction ?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to Jeeps, so go easy on me. I come from the world of building and racing superbikes, sports cars, and pickups to haul them. I recently bought an 07 unlimited and the steering seems awful loose. The jeep drives great, but there just seems to be a lot of play in the steering wheel. Same with the gearbox (but that may be the longer shifter making me feel that way)??? I'd appreciate any insight y'all have for me. Thanks in advance. -Darren
I bought my 07 with 30k, soon after i replaced all the steering components and ball joints.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Check the front track bar to see if the bolt holes are wallowed out. 1 end of the front track bar connects to the frame and the other to the passenger side axle. Lots of guys here go with the 9/16" grade 8 bolt kits for their front track bars, I bought mine from Allen Off-Road (forum sponsor).

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
This sounds like a caster problem and not the same as the OP.

It has the Sahara setup on it now, but I'm installing a 2.5 inch lift this week and 35 on 17s...

I'd rather not throw money at it and hope it sticks. A little better idea of what might be going on would definitely help. I know how to tear down, diagnose, and build bikes..... Jeeps, not so much, lol
Ok, check the tie rod ends, your drag link ends, the track bar bushings and mounts and even your lower control arm bushings. Any one of those with a little extra wear can make things feel loose. And of course the steering box...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sounds like a caster problem and not the same as the OP.

Ok, check the tie rod ends, your drag link ends, the track bar bushings and mounts and even your lower control arm bushings. Any one of those with a little extra wear can make things feel loose. And of course the steering box...

Will do. Thank you. I'll start some investigating and let you guys know

·
Vendor
739 Posts
Sounds like it's yeti time. Especially if you are going to 35's shortly.
With the 35's shortly added to the suspension and also adding the lift to the older suspension, new steering linkages will eventually be needed and show the best results for improvement. The YETI with the reverse pin technology (no linkage flop) would also help improve performance with the other worn parts.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
no but they told me my numbers were good when I had it aligned
Tell them you need to see the numbers... 4.5 to 5.0 is good, but I've seen shops spit out 2.9's and call it great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Fluffy ~

My ~ new to me jeep~ had the exact same problem. New steering gearbox and all is good. Look at it like an investment in future fun! Good luck!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Only a limited number of things that can cause this:
-Wallowed out track bar bolt holes from the bolts being loose. Solution? Weld either 9/16" hardened steel washers or plate steel drilled to 9/16" on the brackets and reinstall/re torque. Look into upgrading to 9/16" bolts. There's a sticky thread on this.
-Worn drag link ends. Replace drag link.
-Worn tie Rod ends. Replace tie Rod.
-worn control arm bushings. Replace control arms.

I had the exact same problem and it was extremely dangerous to myself and others on the road, especially the highway. Imagine taking out a motorcycle in the other lane bacause you "swerved".....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts