Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:atomic:
I have a 2006 TJ, no lift, 31's........
I've been racking my brains on my steering. I've been having issues with the steering feeling loose around left hand curves. I feel as though my rear end wants to come out from under me. Then when driving straight on the highway if I'm on the right side of the road it wants to pull right, if I'm on the left side of the road it wants to pull left. I've replaced steering damper & sway dampers, she is all but perfectly aligned, and tires are inflated to proper limits and I still have no clue. Anyone got a next step?

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
Crawl underneath it and have somebody turn the steering wheel so you can you can see if there's play in the Pitman arm, ball joints, TRE. Then jack up the front end and see is there's any lateral movement of the wheels. Check control arm bushings too.
This is the best advice you'll find. Don't throw any more parts at it until you've found what's loose. My initial reaction based on your description was control arm bushings but check everything. If you do a dry steering test as described above, you'll find where the slack is. Good Luck!

-Ryan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All those areas were good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your rear track bar tight at both ends?
Yup. Everything is tight. Only thought I've had is that I had to replace a tire on front driver side. same make and all, but I didn't know if the fresh"er" tread would cause this issue as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My 98 has been shuffling lately on the highway too. I just replaced the power steering gear box and pitman arm, so I can't imagine there's anything wrong there. It's not a wobble by any means, it just feels like it pulls left and then pulls right intermittently. It doesn't favor any one side in particular. Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts