Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave my jeep a first more than casual inspection after a few off road trips. I'm sure there are more things lurking, but for now this caught my attention: on both sides, the fender is about 1/4" loose on the bolt that is holding it up .

Neither left nor right bolt seem to be loose, but fenders definitely are - push forward on the rear edge, the inner fender goes up and exposes the bolt - see the picture, that's the driver's side looking inward rear behind the front left wheel.

Is it supposed to be this way, or the factory forgot a washer or two? I have a hunch that unless the fender is immobilized, it'll just eat itself away very soon with sand and vibration.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
The "bolt you see is actually the nut. Remove the nut, push the inner fender down from the engine compartment side and slide in a "foam" home made washer. My new to me 2014 came this way last month so that is how I did the repair. Its a shouldered nut so you can only tighten it so far.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "bolt you see is actually the nut.
And indeed it is.

Remove the nut, push the inner fender down from the engine compartment side and slide in a "foam" home made washer. My new to me 2014 came this way last month so that is how I did the repair. Its a shouldered nut so you can only tighten it so far.
<facepalm>

While we're at it, are there any other common "new jeep diseases" I should take a look at?

·
Registered
810 Posts
All 3 of my JKU's were that way. I assumed it was to allow the inner fender to travel some and maybe prevent stresses when the body flexes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As I was putting Meguar's Ultimate Black on my fenders today, I noticed the front driver's side fender has some "play" in it. Not the others, though. Wondering if this is something I should take to the shop... I tried moving it around and peeking underneath to see if something was missing, but couldn't tell.

If I hook a finger under the edge of the fender, it pulls away from the body of the Jeep a bit. Not so loose that it's flapping, but it has a good inch of play in it. The other fenders seem snug.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As I was putting Meguar's Ultimate Black on my fenders today, I noticed the front driver's side fender has some "play" in it. Not the others, though. Wondering if this is something I should take to the shop... I tried moving it around and peeking underneath to see if something was missing, but couldn't tell.

If I hook a finger under the edge of the fender, it pulls away from the body of the Jeep a bit. Not so loose that it's flapping, but it has a good inch of play in it. The other fenders seem snug.
Probably one of the push pins is broken, that is what happen to mine. Took the whole fender loose, only like 5 bolts underneath to remove then it pulls off. Replace all the pins that I broke and the one that was already broke now solid as a rock.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Probably one of the push pins is broken, that is what happen to mine. Took the whole fender loose, only like 5 bolts underneath to remove then it pulls off. Replace all the pins that I broke and the one that was already broke now solid as a rock.
Awesome - will have to check that out. Also, thanks for your service!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts