Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So compared to the other manual cars I have driven, I bought a used 2012 jk a couple months ago and it feels like my transmission is loose or something. It's hard to explain but I'm not sure if this is how jk's feel or do I need to tighten or replace something? Any kind of tips are welcome!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Welcome to the NSG 370, Mercedes Benz worst innovation. Advice is to drive and enjoy, rinse and repeat, Until it breaks, then get it fixed! It is sloppy, noisy and vague. But it will handle the pentastar fairly well, with upgrades, bigger tires etc.

Nothin to tighten up, just loosen your expectations!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Stumblinhorse is right. It's a bit sloppy and noisy. My 1967 bug had a better transmission than this as far as precision and feel.

You'll just have to roll with it and chuckle as the stick shift slams around all over the place in the cab if you go off-roading.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yupp. Kind of like an AK. Sloppy as hell but gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't think the trans is bad? I only have two 4 banger pickups from the 90's to compare it to. Had it for 8 months and 6k miles...I think it's fine.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't think the trans is bad? I only have two 4 banger pickups from the 90's to compare it to. Had it for 8 months and 6k miles...I think it's fine.
Yupp. I had a 95 ford ranger 4 cyl 5 spd with 230k miles and it had a smoother trans than my jk.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Never ever said "bad"! Noisy, loose and vague yes, bad no... Wait till you get a bruise on your leg from the lever rockin back and forth 8 inches! Then you will say bad tranny! Bad! Sit, stay!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright so I'm guessing it's normal from what has been said. Like here's the things that bug me: when I let off the gas in first it bucks around like a wild bronco that's really pissed off, when I shift sometimes I can hear just a smack in the tranny of the gears going in, and when I'm letting out the clutch sometimes with a lot of weight inside the car it vibrates violently as its trying to get into gear. I hope all of this is normal with a 2012 jk tranny

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same issue in first. I find in difficult to get a smooth start.
Make sure you check the fluid level !

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yupp. I had a 95 ford ranger 4 cyl 5 spd with 230k miles and it had a smoother trans than my jk.
Me too ranger and a tacoma. Maybe I just don't remember them well enough to compare. I do remember the ranger feeling more "solid" but the tacoma was a "light" tranny. Who knows...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's one thing I haven't checked is the fluid level, I'm going to check that out today

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am with ya Copper! I actually do not mind the 6sp at all. I had a Mazda B2000 truck in the 80's and a Ranger in the early 90's. The trans is on par with those. Nothing highly technical and no electronica, but basic, notchy 5speeds.

I swapped fluid on the first 850mi of JK ownership, and the thing has been flawless, but still very farm truck like. I possibly could be more tolerant to the NVH aspects this tranny. Frankly, I do not seem to understand most people's issues with thing as most complaints do not illustrate any performance failure....just annoyances.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That's one thing I haven't checked is the fluid level, I'm going to check that out today
mine was a quart low from the factory! I used pennz sychromesh as a refill.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
To be clear I would not take the auto over the manual. The NSG is a workable tranny, no doubt. But I have had many manual trannies over the years and this one is the loudest and I am yet to figure out how it can shake the shifter ao much!

But I would not switch for an auto, but would for a NV-5600!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine actually is a little rough when I shift, it never audibly grinds, but it feels like it's grinding a little bit when I shift, basically not as smooth as I feel like it should be. Is that normal for a JK?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
To be clear I would not take the auto over the manual. The NSG is a workable tranny, no doubt. But I have had many manual trannies over the years and this one is the loudest and I am yet to figure out how it can shake the shifter so much!

But I would not switch for an auto, but would for a NV-5600!
My guess is the transmission mount(s) are actually rubber bands, because they don't seem to be doing anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts