Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 2.5l 140k miles

I have noticed my exhaust smelling sweet for a while now but was iffy on whether it was coolant or not. Well now I know it is coolant as the smell has gotten stronger. My coolant reservoir also was basically empty as of yesterday. I have definitely noticed coolant leaking and flowing down to the bottom of the oil pan (Starts around the PS pump but I haven't identified exactly where) but this wouldn't seem to explain the sweet exhaust atleast to my knowledge. I keep checking the oil and have never had any coolant in it. Does anyone know what the culprit would be here? I thinking of changing the head gasket but wouldn't a blown head gasket leak coolant into the crank case and oil? Thanks

·
Registered
13,752 Posts
Depends with a head head crack or sometimes a head gasket corrosion or other failure the coolant can enter combustion chamber then from there heads out with exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends with a head head crack or sometimes a head gasket corrosion or other failure the coolant can enter combustion chamber then from there heads out with exhaust

So would you recommend going down the route of replacing the head gasket and inspect the head while I’m at it?

·
Registered
13,752 Posts
If you are confident coolant is getting into exhaust seems no other choice

However if it is possible all coolant loss is an external leak maybe not

See what you get with a leak down test and or coolant analysis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are confident coolant is getting into exhaust seems no other choice

However if it is possible all coolant loss is an external leak maybe not

See what you get with a leak down test and or coolant analysis

Okay so I just took a video of the initial start up of the Jeep and there was a big puff of white smoke. Definitely coolant in the exhaust so I will be taking apart the head and posting what I find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to be sure go to the auto parts store in rent the head gasket tester. You have to buy the liquid which is about $6 but it's really simple and awaited confirm you have exhaust gasses in the radiator Before you tear the engine down.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be sure go to the auto parts store in rent the head gasket tester. You have to buy the liquid which is about $6 but it's really simple and awaited confirm you have exhaust gasses in the radiator Before you tear the engine down.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Okay so I took your advice and got the tester. Tested multiple times with negative results on exhaust being in the coolant. However I am still worried since the exhaust reeks of coolant and there is still a slight smoke coming out when idling. Does anyone have any explanation for this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scratch that on the smoke during idle I think that was just condensation.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You say that the source of the leak is near the power steering pump but you have not identified the exact location yet. You need to do this first. It may be a leak at a hose clamp, power steering pump gasket, etc. that is flowing down onto your motor/exhaust manifold thus creating the sweet smell.

If you smell antifreeze while in the cab, your heater core may be leaking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts