Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a '91 YJ with a 4 banger. It is pretty worn (170,000 miles) but still in working condition. It has 32x11.5x15 tires and what looks to be a 3" shackle lift. When driving it "creaks" on the passenger side and it sits about 3/4" lower at both the front and back on that side. I just put new Ranchos all the way around and it is still that way. What could be the issue?

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Sounds like the former owner had a large passenger! Springs may be sagging. You could try helper springs, or replace all the leaf springs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking it is the leaf spring too. Just by sight it is a little flatter, but when I put a level on both rear springs...the passenger is flat. I spoke with a local shop and they sell both new and used replacements. Could I just replace the bad one or do I need to replace both rear springs? Also, how hard of a job is it? The bolts at the shackles don't look to bad.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would snatch off the old wornout spring replace with new 2.5 inch springs and remove the large shackles and replace with boomarang shackles

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I am thinking it is the leaf spring too. Just by sight it is a little flatter, but when I put a level on both rear springs...the passenger is flat. I spoke with a local shop and they sell both new and used replacements. Could I just replace the bad one or do I need to replace both rear springs? Also, how hard of a job is it? The bolts at the shackles don't look to bad.
If you just replace the bad one you will most likely be leaning the other way. You should definately replace all four.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts