Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. New to the Forum, but I have been drooling over the posts of jeeps and reading through for fun for years. Finally got my '01 TJ last year. Also new to doing my own work on it, I love it so far, still learning though.

I had an issue with the tail light, headlights, and directionals turning on and off, a short somewhere. I did some fiddling and figured it was in the turn signal assembly. Then did some searching online and found it was a common problem. Replaced it. Success!

Now I have an issue with electrical components connected to the assembly. The brake lights and directionals will sometimes stop working. If I just put a little back pressure, pulling it towards me, on the harness connector (see picture - don't know the official name for it) the brakes and directionals come back. Maybe a lose connection? The tiny slide lock on the harness connector is broken, so makes sense it would be lose.

I also noticed with the tiniest bit of down pressure on the blinker relay, the blinkers go out.

I suspect its the harness connector is the culprit, any ideas on how to tighten up the connection without pinning a new connector (that seems daunting to me, above my pay grade I think). Again, the tiny red slide lock is busted.

Also, might be a bad blinker relay since the tiniest down pressure kills the directionals, but I don't think so. How should I trouble shoot which one it is?

Thanks in advance for your help / advice!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing with the hazards. Hazards, blinkers, brakes go out after driving a bit. Vibration working the connector lose?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Unplug & take a real close look at the harness connector. Look for any sign of excessive heating or melting. Then be sure all terminals are all the way in & seated. Sometimes one or more will get pushed back when plugging it in & have limited or no contact with the mating terminal on the switch. Pay extra attention to pin 3, the black/grey wire. Also pin 11, the black/white wire. Those 2 power the signals & hazards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts