Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 Rubicon and i can't figure out how I'm slowly losing brake fluid. I filled up my reservoir about 5 months ago and now its back down to the add level. I've looked at each caliper and no leaks. The brakes seem to function correctly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It might be leaking out of you master cylinder into your brake booster you would have to pull it apart to find out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Also keep in mind as your pads wear...you will have less and less fluid in the resovoir. Less pad means more fluid is in the calipers...therefore not in your resovoir. Nothing is more annoying then folks who top it off constantly....cuz it don't evaporate is there is no breaks in the system. So when you press the pistons back into the calipers...it pours out the top of the master cylinder. If you have drums in the rear, check your inner sidewalls on the rear tires for hydraulic fluid...it will be evident if a wheel cylinder has failed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh, didn't think about the brake pads wearing out. Thats probably it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
What Mudweiser says is true but to go down to the add mark in 5 months seems excessive. What 02 TJ says can happen & suck all the fluid out in a rather short time. It is not definitive but pull the vacuum hose that goes from the booster to the intake manifold & see if it has brake fluid on the inside of the hose. Push a paper towel up inside & see if there is any residue on the towel. If there is fluid in there the seal at the back of the master cylinder is bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts