Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1990 jeep wrangler and it seems at around 50-60 mph i smell what seems like pancake syrup and not long after i lose my clutch.what could cause this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the master cylinder will be drained, so when i bleed it the fluid is new and clear .i don't see any leaks on top. i think it may be the hydraulic throwout bearing. would that leak only at high speeds or would that leak through all the gears? and how hard of a repair would this be?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i check the fluid level almost daily and as long as i just do local driving(under 50 mph) it doesn't seem to lose any fluid. but as soon as i get on a highway(over 50 mph) it seems to immediately(within 10 minutes) lose all the fluid.that is when i smell what smells like pancake syrup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem on my 93, clutch fluid would leak out about every 30 days. Had tp replace the slave cylinder/throwout bearing. On my 93 I hade to separiate the engine/trans to replace it. PITA! Part was $165 at AutoZone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts