Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new to the Jeep world and I just got a 10 JK a week ago. I have found that when going up hills the JK can barely hold speed. I have a manual trans and I was in 4th going up a hill at 45. next thing I know I'm down to to 40. I hit the gas and nothing. Mind you these are not massive mountains more like rolling hills of Michigan. I feel like in Colorado I'd be heading backward!

Going to 3rd would work but isnt that too high rpm? Its also been about 20 years since I had a stick so I'm really a babe in the woods here.

The question is it normal for the JK to lose steam like that up a hill and is dropping into 3 at 45+ a bad thing?

Thanks for any help from the experts!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Lift, tires, etc or stock.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yep, i got a 09 manuel and let me tell you it is not the fastest, but is the most badass, I live in colorado and going up the pass and in mountains i feel like im not moving. I can barley get up the pass at 40 in 3rd gear haha people pass me left and right but i dont care i have a jeep!

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
if you're losing speed, you're in the wrong gear. doesn't matter if it's a moped or ferrari
This. If you are chugging the motor you are...

1) In the wrong gear
2) Putting tons of stress on the motor
3) Putting tons of stress on the driveline (clutch)
4) Wasting a HEAP of gas

Downshift and use higher RPMs. If you are in the upper rev range and STILL barely gain speed, you need to re-gear (unlikely.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the help. Make feel better that nothing is wrong. It is what it is and that fine by me. I can live with being slow. Not sure if I can live without Jeep!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Power band is related to RPM is related to road speed is related to incline/decline of roadway.

I've learned to switch my OD off at times in my auto trans. Timely move often keeps engine RPM just high enough to prevent lugging/downshift.

Depending on terrain, sometimes OD is off completely for miles & miles.

I often travel between the various mountain ranges of Oregon. Going up any of them means OD off. Once in a while I use the stick to go to 3rd to avoid more lugging or wandering shifting. My 08JK auto has only a tiny brain and sometimes I have to help it behave more like I want.

Decades ago I traded into a 1956 VW bug, that had the 25hp motor.
4th gear was something like .76 overdrive ratio....so ANY uphill or often ANY wind at all required downshift.

I *did* learn that no matter HOW slow you go, eventually you WILL come across someone going even slower that you'll have to figure out how to pass safely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts