Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the wall-o-text, just want to get all the details down i can. Thanks in advance.

I noticed this right after installing my new bushwhacker fenders, and i thought at first that it was associated with them and the extra drag, since its been very windy here for the last month or so. After this mornings experience, it seems to not be the case.

It started as a slight loss of power in the 60mph range. It seemed to happen when needing to go up an overpass on the freeway. The jeep would lose 5mph or more even though i was feeding it more pedal, and eventually would downshift and the mph would jump back up. At first i thought this was from the wind at the top of the overpass, but ive been paying closer attention to it, and i dont think that is the deal now.

This morning it did the same, except it was during the acceleration lane, merging onto the freeway. I gave it some pedal, and watched and felt the jeep downshift, and the RMP jump up to just over 4k, but the jeep didnt accelerate like it should have. It stayed at 4k, and then a couple of seconds later the jeep started accelerating as it should at 4k in passing gear.

No CEL, no smoke, no other issues. hard acceleration from stop, shifts as it should.

I am in a 2012 jku on 35in tires, and 3.79 (?) gears, with no tuner, or shift point correction. 60K miles, so im not due for plugs or anything. Just did a oil change to synthetic mobile one, but this issue was persistent before and after. I also changed the air filter at this time, but it did nothing to resolve the issue.

The only other thing to note, is i had the turn signal mod before installing the fenders, Since the side markers are LED, they do not work the same, and i had to wire them up in reverse basically to get them to light.

I doubt that this would be the issue, but ive heard stories of LED tails and reverse lights causing weird issues on other makes, and having the CANBUS system, leads me to think its a slight possibility.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update on this, I got a CEL monday, and when i read the code it came back P0741. This code refers to a torque converter issue. Luckily i am still in the 100k power train warranty, so im off to the dealer today to see about getting it fixed up. Hopefully this resolves the issue, as it seems to be getting worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same issue with the torque converter. My dealership keeps flashing the computer to fix it, it has not seemed to work either time. When I have time, I am going to drop it off and tell them to start replacing stuff. I have had it in twice for the issue.

Travis
2012 JK

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer visit today, and the computer showed torque converter electric circuit fault, and there was an update to the TCM. They are ordering the part and replacing the TC. Should be in mid next week. I wonder what loaner im getting. lol

·
Registered
599 Posts
dealer visit today, and the computer showed torque converter electric circuit fault, and there was an update to the TCM. They are ordering the part and replacing the TC. Should be in mid next week. I wonder what loaner im getting. lol
Good to hear it's getting fixed.

My Jeep likes to pop out of overdrive on the highway and light up the tranny light until I park and reignite the engine.

Its a problem with my tranny where it would lose OD and set me back a gear while giving me weird drag.. Also it will not switch back into OD unless I use the triptronic thing, even then there is still drag until I reset the Jeep

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My dealer does not give loaners, they get you a rental through Enterprise rental. Unfortunately, the rental must be a Chrysler brand vehicle and the last time I had warranty work done, the only Chrysler vehicle they had was a mini van! I could not wait to get my Jeep back.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i got the light again today. this time it shows as a code and a PD code. The symptoms seem to be getting worse. I hope its only the TC and not the trans.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got ol' Eugene back, and he seems to be back to normal. Paperwork shows they cracked the trans and rebuilt with new F1 clutch input shaft, filter and fluid after a full cleanout. Also replaced the torque converter.

hope that got it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Could be something with the LED's too. I have heard of people having problems with them. The amp draw is so low with these things, and that can affect how the PCM reads things. You may want to do more research, and look at the possibility of adding resistors in new LED's...these will bring the resistance through the circuits back to normal levels.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be something with the LED's too. I have heard of people having problems with them. The amp draw is so low with these things, and that can affect how the PCM reads things. You may want to do more research, and look at the possibility of adding resistors in new LED's...these will bring the resistance through the circuits back to normal levels.
My LED bar made my torque converter go out? Could you elaborate?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer does not give loaners, they get you a rental through Enterprise rental. Unfortunately, the rental must be a Chrysler brand vehicle and the last time I had warranty work done, the only Chrysler vehicle they had was a mini van! I could not wait to get my Jeep back.
I ended up with a 200. i was hoping for a renegade. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts