Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 wrangler, it is an automatic, has 35s, and 4.56 gears

The Jeep rides fine, sometimes shifts a little strange, but going up a hill is ridiculous. Going up the hill, and these are not huge mountains or anything, I quickly start to lose power and if I give it more gas it just revs the engine harder but does not go any faster, and the temp gauge will slowly start to creep up, once I have crested the hill then all is good again, temp goes down and Jeep drives like usual.

I have taken into 4 different times in the last year, to 2 different Jeep dealerships and a shop that does lifts and upgrades, no one can find anything wrong. There are no lights on and no codes.

I would appreciate any suggestions with this issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
So accelerating on flat roads isn't an issue? No delay or lack of acceleration?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Transmission tends to keep the jeep in 5th gear no matter what, untill all momentum is lost and then it is diifficut to gain speed again. I bump manually 1 or 2 gears down before the hill, it helps a lot.
Pentastar isnt any good below 2k rpm, dont let the green sector confuse you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Transmission tends to keep the jeep in 5th gear no matter what, untill all momentum is lost and then it is diifficut to gain speed again. I bump manually 1 or 2 gears down before the hill, it helps a lot.
Pentastar isnt any good below 2k rpm, dont let the green sector confuse you.
Thanks, I will have to try that

·
Registered
414 Posts
If the power loss is fairly sudden then there is a known problem where the under hood insulation gets sucked down and then blocks the air intake. If it does this then you can see marks on the insulation and it pulls oil from the breather into the intake system.

Otherwise I'd suggest you quantify the behavior so that other people can determine if it is normal. eg ambient temperature, grade, start and end speeds & rpm, engine temperature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the power loss is fairly sudden then there is a known problem where the under hood insulation gets sucked down and then blocks the air intake. If it does this then you can see marks on the insulation and it pulls oil from the breather into the intake system.

Otherwise I'd suggest you quantify the behavior so that other people can determine if it is normal. eg ambient temperature, grade, start and end speeds & rpm, engine temperature.
I am not sure of the under hood insulation, but I will check that. I also agree, I think I will take a video the next time I go into the mountains, because where I live is flat and there is really no where to recreate the conditions. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Checking the underhood insulation is a great idea. The engine has to breathe....both intake and exhaust, so if the intake (including the air filter) checks ok then a partially blocked exhaust is a possibility. Catalytic converter is most probable although a crushed muffler or dirt stuffed up the tailpipe are other possibilities. Back in my day, in the 50's and 60's, a common prank was to stuff a potato up the exhaust pipe. Yes really LoL.

·
Super Moderator
15,121 Posts
I go in to power loss occasionally when towing and climbing in the heat... But shifting is still normal, it just drops in to limp mode when I hit the temperature thresholds.. Sometimes it's coolant temp and other times it's trans fluid temp. I just have to finish the hill at a crawl and as soon as I start going down hill the temps come back to normal and power is back to normal too. But it only happens when it's 100+ outside and I'm towing 2000lbs+ and climbing a significant grade. Also on 35's with 4.56.

Sadly, this is a known weakness in the JK. The A/C condenser blocks the entire radiator, poor design.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I go in to power loss occasionally when towing and climbing in the heat... But shifting is still normal, it just drops in to limp mode when I hit the temperature thresholds.. Sometimes it's coolant temp and other times it's trans fluid temp. I just have to finish the hill at a crawl and as soon as I start going down hill the temps come back to normal and power is back to normal too. But it only happens when it's 100+ outside and I'm towing 2000lbs+ and climbing a significant grade. Also on 35's with 4.56.

Sadly, this is a known weakness in the JK. The A/C condenser blocks the entire radiator, poor design.
When it happens to me, not towing anything except the extra weight of the Atlas front and rear bumpers :) The temp outside is summer temps so typcially 90s or so, and it is not a huge hill (the pic is the best I could get, but it is not huge). The same things happens though the temp and all go normal once the hill is done.

·
Super Moderator
15,121 Posts
When it happens to me, not towing anything except the extra weight of the Atlas front and rear bumpers :) The temp outside is summer temps so typcially 90s or so, and it is not a huge hill (the pic is the best I could get, but it is not huge). The same things happens though the temp and all go normal once the hill is done.
That's not enough hill and not enough load... You might have some blockage in the radiator. I'd back flush the heater core, plenty of youtube videos on how, and then have your radiator flushed. I'm talking about a 2 mile minimum climb...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's not enough hill and not enough load... You might have some blockage in the radiator. I'd back flush the heater core, plenty of youtube videos on how, and then have your radiator flushed. I'm talking about a 2 mile minimum climb...
I know that is the kinda hill I'm speaking about, nothing at all and it bogs down. I will check into the radiator though, thank you for the suggestion. Honestly, at this point I am trying everything because like I said no one can figure it out. Thank you again, I do appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Looks like your radiators air flow is almost completely block with accessories. Can you post a picture of the front of your jeep?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like your radiators air flow is almost completely block with accessories. Can you post a picture of the front of your jeep?
Funny that you mentioned that, I had my brother come over, and we talked about that. The grill and the winch was on the Jeep when I purchased it, but I actually purchased a new grill that just came today, that would allow more air flow, and we are going to remove the winch and either get a smaller one or a front bumper that has the recessed area for the winch. Here is a pic and from this angle, there is very limited air flow.

IMG_20200509_135146_467.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,121 Posts
I'm still thinking you aren't getting enough load to cause the temps to rise with that small climb... I'm thinking its somewhere else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm still thinking you aren't getting enough load to cause the temps to rise with that small climb... I'm thinking its somewhere else.
Yeah even on that small of a climb it does it. I really don't know what can be causing the issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts