Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Do you have two sets, and you lost one of them?

A dealer can cut & program a replacement, but a local locksmith may be more cost effective.

The dealer will be able to provide an exact replacement that will likely cost a fair bit, but should be identical to the one lost. One cut and programmed by a locksmith may be a clone of the key you have. If you have two working key fobs, you can program a third yourself (if that is something that interests you), but a cloned fob may not allow a DIY programming for a third key.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

A dealer can cut & program a replacement, but a local locksmith may be more cost effective.

The dealer will be able to provide an exact replacement that will likely cost a fair bit, but should be identical to the one lost. One cut and programmed by a locksmith may be a clone of the key you have. If you have two working key fobs, you can program a third yourself (if that is something that interests you), but a cloned fob may not allow a DIY programming for a third key.
A cloned fob will not allow you to use it for programming a 3rd. If it did we could just insert one key twice to make program another :(

Reactions: WaltA

·
Registered
267 Posts
Also, if you have a service like AAA, at some levels, they will cover the replacement cost out of your lockout benefit. A local locksmith confirmed this.

Once you have a second key, order some blanks and use your two keys to program the spares.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
A cloned fob will not allow you to use it for programming a 3rd. If it did we could just insert one key twice to make program another :(
That is what I am getting at there ;).

Dealer key will allow programming a third (provided you have two). A cloned key will start the vehicle just like OEM, but will not allow DIY programming of a third key.

The reason for my phrasing above is really depends on the method a locksmith uses to make a working key. The cloned route will not allow additional programming.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The best and most expensive way is to go to the dealer. Tell them you want 2 working keys and all other keys invalidated. They can order the cut based on your vin. Then associate any keys to the vehicle and delete all others. Once you have 2 good keys make a few more cheap and store them in a safe place. But I am paranoid.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no keys. I’ve lost them both but I’m not worried about someone using the lost ones.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
best person to tell you if the dealer could make one from the VIN is the dealer. Stop in with your registration. Hopefully it won't be crazy expensive. If you have mopar maxcare they will pay for new keys I believe up to two times.

Reactions: Hilldweller

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
MaxCare will do 3 replacements. At least the Lifetime MaxCare does.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I searched all around the forum here, and I could not find your key. Sorry.

Though, I did find two screws and a penny.

Reactions: gravitywell

·
Registered
581 Posts
Lost my key. Can I call the dealer and have one made? I’ve had the car serviced there.

Yes you can...I had misplaced one of mine (2015 JKU). Called the dealership where I bought the Jeep - service dept has always been great to work with for things I didn’t do myself. Young lady in service kinda caught her breath before giving me the estimate - something $300 for one key if IIRC...this was the key plus programming by dealer. I passed and since I had the second factory key still on hand, kept looking till I finally found the other key.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts