Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my only key to my TJ and look everywhere for it. Then I thought oh well no big deal I'll go to the dealer and get a new one. I went and got 2 made, it worked to open the door.... Then I turned the key in the ignition and it didn't work. They said it was probably an aftermarket ignition on it. Now my jeep is stuck there unless I pay to tow it back to my house because THEY WANT TO CHARGE $400 to have a new ignition put in.. PLEASE HELP, any advice at all. My only idea is to pay to tow it back home and then try to fix it myself.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Did you try both sides of the key? I have a spare that only works one way. Worth the try, I'm not much help otherwise. Best of luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently locksmiths in Madison WI don't really make keys for cars.. I'll try to call around tomorrow. It seems like its probably too difficult of a job for me to do because I don't really know much about ignitions.

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
It will or will not turn in ignition lock

If turns but only starts a couple seconds then after that three times cranks bit no start probably a chipped key SKIM

Did you old key have a black or a gray plastic head

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The key won't turn in the ignition. I think you have to be able to turn the ignition to on to remove it but i might be mistaken. Thank you Tachycardia, I will totally try to get in contact with them.

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
I read turned key in ignition and did not work as key turned but did not start

If no turn try pull out turn 180 and reinsert and try pull back a little and jiggle while attempting to turn and if still won't turn need a new better fitting key

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll give that a shot, I just emailed a bunch of people trying to get a key made tomorrow so we'll see if any of them get back to me. Otherwise we'll see if I can dig up a ignition write up tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help guys!!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If your original key opened the doors and turned the ignition, a replacement key should do both as well. Sounds like the tumblers are a bit sloppier in one or the other, and the dealer cut key is just out of spec. The "aftermarket ignition" is either a cash grab or them trying to cover their tracks on the bad cut.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Any mobile locksmith worth his salt can cut you a key, even if it's chipped. Also, your insurance may cover it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Was your steering wheel locked? If mine is locked the key won't turn until I move the wheel a little bit to the right or left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts