Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Used my Wheel lock key the other day to check the torque on my wheel spacers and I left the wheel lock key in the wheel and I lost it. Discount tire can't remove it bell tire can't remove it none of them feel comfortable they don't want to damage the rim. If anyone has one that they are not using could you please PM me and maybe we can work something out I'm willing to pay for it.
I don't feel comfortable getting a universal one from harbor fright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
875 Posts
I Used my Wheel lock key the other day to check the torque on my wheel spacers and I left the wheel lock key in the wheel and I lost it. Discount tire can't remove it bell tire can't remove it none of them feel comfortable they don't want to damage the rim. If anyone has one that they are not using could you please PM me and maybe we can work something out I'm willing to pay for it.
I don't feel comfortable getting a universal one from harbor fright.

I thought wheel lock keys are all different. How would you know if somebody else's would fit? My wheel locks came with a key code in case I ever need to order a replacement, any chance you have that? I always wondered if the key was lost or if a thief wanted to, to use channel locks and a cheater bar to get them off without the key.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I thought wheel lock keys are all different. How would you know if somebody else's would fit? I always wondered if the key was lost or if a thief wanted to, to use channel locks and a cheater bar to get one off without the key.
Correct, they're different. I think OP can take a pic and send to MFG for a replacement. I'd try another shop, most can defeat these silly things with ease. Of course if it were my Jeep, I'd have them all removed and buy 4/5 standard lug nuts while I'm going through the pain.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi, Sometimes you can just hyper tighten the other lug nuts. Then just unscrew the ones with the key hole. may work.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I thought I lost my wheel lock key. Took a picture of the lock pattern and sent it to manufacturer. They sent me a replacement for around $30 if i remember correctly.

Shortly after, I found the key. Go figure

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Just go to YouTube. There are plenty of videos on how to defeat each type of lug nut lock. Then you'll realize just how useless they really are.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the mopar accessories paper it looks more like instructions on how to put them on and take them off.
There a number on the paper god I hope that's the number.
I don't loose anything really pissed me off I did this.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That wasn't it.
But after looking again I found the card with the codes.
What I pain 35 bux shipped I just ordered it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I put a piece of paper over the lock and rubbed the paper (kind of like when you're a kid and you do the headstone rubbing) and took it to the dealer.

They said that was prolly the best way of getting the pattern they'd seen.
They also said they're all different. :(

Good luck to ya. Hopefully your dealer will tell you something else!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well one good thing is sense I waited at discount tire for an hour for nothing they gave me spline black lug nuts for 22bux for 23 of them.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Just go to YouTube. There are plenty of videos on how to defeat each type of lug nut lock. Then you'll realize just how useless they really are.
I just looked at a couple, the guys doing it aren't even using specialty tools, just common stuff laying around the garage. Hell, even Walmart sells the sockets. I just got back from visiting a buddy at the dealership, he laughed said he has those sockets (I'm sure a better quality) and they zip em off, sometimes several times a day for customers and trade ins. They stop hoarding extra keys to try, takes too much time, since the socket rips em off first attempt.
I mean disrespect to OP, but there's almost always new Sahara take off on CL, and it doesn't look like the sell for more than $100-200 and that's people buying them for new tires.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you have the OEM ones the dealer may have a master lock set.

I know on one of my older VW's my key had a problem, when I went to the dealer they took out a box which had pretty much every combination for their OEM wheel locks and I was able to get the right one and remove the lock from my wheel.

Might be worth trying your local dealer.

with my mcGards I make sure to register the key with them so that it's on file.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have the OEM ones the dealer may have a master lock set.

I know on one of my older VW's my key had a problem, when I went to the dealer they took out a box which had pretty much every combination for their OEM wheel locks and I was able to get the right one and remove the lock from my wheel.

Might be worth trying your local dealer.

with my mcGards I make sure to register the key with them so that it's on file.

Thx but I found the card and ordered the new one.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn't about to try and half ass these off.
It's not worth it to me.
I found the card and ordered a key.
Thx for the help tho.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
FWIW AutoZone has removers if you don't mind tearing them up and buying new locking lug nuts. But it depends if there is a freewheeling sleeve on them or not.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is something I hadn't thought about with my new (2.5 months) wrangler. SO, was mine supposed to come with a "key" or socket adapter? Where should it have been?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
This is something I hadn't thought about with my new (2.5 months) wrangler. SO, was mine supposed to come with a "key" or socket adapter? Where should it have been?
Do you have a locking lug on each wheel? If so, they should have given you the silly-socket. As far as if your Jeep came with locking lugs, I think some dealers install these, and not the factory.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Do you have a locking lug on each wheel? If so, they should have given you the silly-socket. As far as if your Jeep came with locking lugs, I think some dealers install these, and not the factory.
Gotcha. Just checked and mine just have normal lugs.

Now I need to decide if I need ones that "lock". I had planned to swap all of mine out one day for black lugs anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts