Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got stuck in the mud today. Not fun, dumb move on my part.

I winched myself out. That went fine. Halfway through i noticed I could not turn my steering wheel. (Someone also said my tires were not engaged in 4x4 during the winch. I don't know or not if this was really the case). Also noticed the lockers weren't doing anything.

When I finally i got out it was clear I lost power steering. Also my alpine wra kac-001 was not powering any accessories but the screen works. It is definitely weird that I lost all my accessories at the same time (extra lights, ARB, Lockers, etc)

No fluids are leaking. No check engine lights. I do remember driving earlier this week and thought the steering felt funny (pulled each way) but that may be me over thinking.

Attached pictures to give idea.

1. I feel as though it is somewhat electronic. Any help would be appreciated even if it is something comical or could be simply overlooked. I checked the fuses that I could think of and didn't find any blown.
If it dries out will it work again or is it a power steering that is melted or something like that?

My arb air compressor was very hot after and was not working but no lights from the pod were working either.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts on buying a power steering pump from Amazon? I do not know if this is the problem.

My fluids all worked as should when going home as the line was at the right spots when hot and cold.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My first thought is serpentine belt. Frying the PS pump is common in mud/snow. That’s what triggered me to upgrade to PSC BigBore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am ao excited! I rechecked the fuses in my apolintech pod. The main 3 amp fuse had just an inkling of water. I switched it from one that kc gave and it fixed all of the auxiliaries( lights, arb, lockers I assume). Kind of funny i checked at the scene. It was hard as everyone was around me and trying to lend advice. Some good some bad. I was a bit flustered and just wanted to get home.

I have no idea how water got under the cover of apolintech. It is definitely a cheaper fuse.

I will pick up some extra fuses and carrying them. Who knew there is a better quality fuse i'm sure someone here did.

Now to sleep and hope magically the steering comes back. Or someone tells me what to do.

I will read up on the serpentine belt @IamN2Speed

I do notice my engine was really hot today. But this is my first time with a wrangler so I don't how they feel.

Freeway drive radiator was 200 to 208.

Stop and go got up to 226.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have a suggestion to what power steering pump to buy and where to buy it? Also what other parts may be needed.

This morning steering has came back a little.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone have a suggestion to what power steering pump to buy and where to buy it? Also what other parts may be needed.

This morning steering has came back a little.
I’m the guy that always replaces things that break, with an upgrade or stronger part. Unless it’s some sort of fluke. That being said, a failed PS pump is what led me to PSC. The sales guy warned me that pump was likely too much for the stock gear. I bought it anyway.

A month later, I sprung a leak. At that time, I upgraded the steering gear to the BigBore XD. Now, all in, I’m about $1800 in parts, but I have a massive PS Box, high flow pump, and cooler, and couldn’t be happier. Well worth the investment.

If you don’t want to spend the money to upgrade your system, then just go to O'Reilly’s, and replace the stock pump with another stock pump....

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@IamN2Speed I like your idea of upgrading. I just don't know what to buy? I do think mine was going bad before the mud and it finally died.

What do I get without spending $1800?

Is it the 640 kit on psc? Is it an easy install, i thought I read i had to replace something else that didn't come with the kit.

Ty for your help

·
Registered
62 Posts
What do I get without spending $1800?

Is it the 640 kit on psc? Is it an easy install, i thought I read i had to replace something else that didn't come with the kit.

Ty for your help
I’m not sure what the 640 kit is, but basically my thought is, if you’re not going to go all in on the full upgrade, then there is no point going with the upgraded pump. You should just get a stock replacement pump.

If you do want to go all in, the right kit is @ https://www.northridge4x4.com/scp/suspension/steering/hydraulic-steering-kits#q=&hPP=21&idx=products&p=0&hFR[hierarchicalCategories.lvl0][0]=Suspension > Steering > Hydraulic Steering Kits

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might be able to swing the 1657 for psc. Is it all I need? How about the install. I am wondering how all of that extra fits under the hood.

So this kit doesn't come with replacement steering stabilizer i see people running with. Im leaning more towards spending once and getting it done right if it is an easy install.

And your right O'Reilly has a pump for 166 plus 20 percent off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I might be able to swing the 1657 for psc. Is it all I need? How about the install. I am wondering how all of that extra fits under the hood.

So this kit doesn't come with replacement steering stabilizer i see people running with. Im leaning more towards spending once and getting it done right if it is an easy install.

And your right O'Reilly has a pump for 166 plus 20 percent off.
The stabilizer is separate, and unrelated to the power steering. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being an engine rebuild, and a 1 being changing a break light, I’d put this at about a 6. YouTube & instructions are your friend. The hardest part is the new gear, that thing is seriously heavy. I did mine at a buddy’s house that had a mini winch in his ceiling to lift off his hardtop, and that was key in getting the gear into place. It will be next to impossible to do that on your own due to weight and location.

I’d be happy to help with pictures and PM/phone if you are going to do it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
  1. Yes I think I'm going to get it. It makes sense. I had my front lockers engaged went it went out and after watching psc videos it made sense that it happened. I did not realize it is harder to turn with the lockers engaged.
I only have a Dana 30 on 35" tires. Do you think that matters?

It is trusted and gusseted with rcv axles.

When you say gear your meaning the gearbox that is bigger? I watched a video on that portion but I could not find a video on the complete kit you showed me.

I assume this is a bit harder then a radiator install...but close.

Can you let me know where that long silver tube like thing goes? I think it is a cooler.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I only have a Dana 30 on 35" tires. Do you think that matters?

It is trusted and gusseted with rcv axles.

When you say gear your meaning the gearbox that is bigger? I watched a video on that portion but I could not find a video on the complete kit you showed me.

I assume this is a bit harder then a radiator install...but close.

Can you let me know where that long silver tube like thing goes? I think it is a cooler.
The power steering cooler goes in front of the radiator. I drilled a couple small holes in that cross member and mounted in the middle.

Yes, the BigBore XD steering gear is significantly larger than the stock one. It’s the same on in the 1 ton trucks, and the entire unit is larger. It’s a heavy mofo.

As for the axles, I would think you’re ok as long as you stay with 35” tires. You’ll be pushing it with 37’s. I run 37x13.5 and I just got a quote to build up my D44. I’m not planning on a D60, but will likely do your mods to my D44 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Im in lol. Went from 200 to 1700 but it should be an upgrade. I will be watching videos on installs all day tomorrow, ordering and waiting for arrival.

I'm 😨 of this install!

Lol I didn't know how to install brakes a month ago.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One tip I thought of this morning. Realize, you are now going to be replacing your entire power steering system. Nothing from your old system will remain. All the hoses are replaced, everything.

It will be best, to fit the entire system together on the bench first, just to make sure you have the right hoses in place, and the right fittings where they belong and connections in the right places. The only exception to this will be the cooler, because you need to cut the hose to fit your location on the vehicle, so you’ll want to have that in place to measure the line first.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, that’s just the hi flow pump. I did that first, but was warned it would be too much for the rest of the stock parts. After i installed it, the high pressure did cause a leak, so I had to buy all the rest. Buying it all at once in the kit is going to save a few bucks from doing it like I did.

When it comes to real parts, I stay away from Amazon. That’s great for accessories, but NR4x4 has outstanding customer service and fast shipping. I’m in NorCsl, and they have a disti center in Utah. Stuff gets to me quick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts