Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these wheel locks on all 5 wheels. I got distracted before finishing tightening, but not torquing down, the wheel lugs. Then I drove off for a quick test drive after a repair with the wheel lock key still on the wheel lock lug nut. :puke: I walked the test drive route twice and did not find it. Now what? These are the wheel locks I have but there is no code to order another key. Jamb on socket and crank them all off? The outer smooth sleeve seems pretty weak and easy to pull off.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
That is just one reason I hate and stopped using wheel locks. What kind of wheels are you running, are the lug nuts inset into a deep recess or are the lug nuts open & accessible?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is just one reason I hate and stopped using wheel locks. What kind of wheels are you running, are the lug nuts inset into a deep recess or are the lug nuts open & accessible?

Not a big deal, lock nuts only keep honest people honest, Harbour freight sells a socket you hammer over the lock nut and then you remove as normal with a ratchet NOT a impact gun. Or you can just do it the old fashion way hammer and a chiesl. Also most tire shops carry the removal tool. I've been there and its not a big deal, you just loose a set of lock nuts!!
You'll be amazed how easy they come off

·
Registered
182 Posts
Been there- in the end the solution was 12 point socket head hammered onto the "locknut" (doesn't take too much). Select the socket just small enough to engage the OD of the nut with the points. Carefully torque the other 4 bolts up to top end of spec, then steady increasing removal torque on the offending bolt. Might also help to make sure the wheels are cool when you do this. Use a punch to drive the bolt out of the socket after removing the nut- then repeat. Worked like a charm for me. I tried the Sunex removal sockets but when it came it was too big for my lug nuts. can't say if they work or not (but I didn't need one).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are factory canyons painted black with some 33x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs. The tires are worth more than the rims really. They are not in really deep since they are factory wheels. I will try the methods described and see what happens. Thanks, I will post again when I get them off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the style of locks I have THESE I was able to just pry off the outer spinning cap, pound on a 5/8" 12 point socket and get them off easily. Kind of sad. I will be putting the regular lugs back on now. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the style of locks I have THESE I was able to just pry off the outer spinning cap, pound on a 5/8" 12 point socket and get them off easily. Kind of sad. I will be putting the regular lugs back on now. Thanks.

Like I said "they only keep honest people honest" if someone wants your wheels he's just going to take them, the locks won't slow them down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts