Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading the form since I got my Jeep a year ago. A LOT of good info and tips. But I cant seem to find anything that really pertains to my issue...

This has happened a few times to me now, but not every time.

I have a 11 JK with the 3.8, 2.5" Life and 35s MT tires.

What happens, is a I will be going down a muddy road and she will get a bit squirrely on me. Nothing major, just requires some steering to keep it up on the road. I will be going fine for a while then all of the sudden I hear a LOUD BANG like I just snapped the U joint from the front passenger side. But then there is no more noise and everything is fine

After the first 2 times, once on the way out and once on the way back, I crawled under expecting to see a broken U joint or tie rod or something, but nope, everything is tight and where it needs to be.

This Saturday it happened again. But this time I noticed that the traction control was NOT off and I know for sure I did not turn off the ECS and I was either at steering lock or near it towards driver side. (Side note, Thought I really broke the Jeep because all the sudden I lost power to the wheels and I ended up limping home in 4 Low, but a quick search and I can confirm the loss of power was due to the ECS being on.) So I get back to the house, lift the Jeep and start looking again. No noises either at idle or in 4WD. Noting to explain that Loud Bang. I get under the hood and I have some Power Steering fluid up on the Passenger side cowling... Check all the hoses, the pump, the steering... every thing seems fine and is working.

Has anyone else experienced this or can point me in the right direction as to what I need to inspect/replace?

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a Sport model.

I also miss-typed. It has 33" tires, not 35. Not sure if that matters, but I want to give as much detail as I can.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Only thing I would think of is a sway bar disconnect
If you know what that is any idea if one was added to your Sport?
They do not come stock but it could cause a noise like that but not cause any drivability issues
Are the sway bars still there?
Maybe just not connected and dangling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Confirm that your front coils are seated properly. I’ve had a coil rotate and become incorrectly seated, causing an occasional bang as you describe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Electronic Sway bar disconnect and the bolts are in place and tight, good suggestion though,never hurts to double check.

How could I tell if the coils are in the right place, they are in the cups... but I am not sure if they are rotated or not.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
No Electronic Sway bar disconnect and the bolts are in place and tight, good suggestion though,never hurts to double check.

How could I tell if the coils are in the right place, they are in the cups... but I am not sure if they are rotated or not.
Look in with a light and feel with your fingers around the bottom of the spring where the end of the spring is in the lower spring perch. The end of the spring should be right up against a sharp bump in the lower spring perch. Not sure this is your issue but at least you can check it out. Imagine if the spring were a little loose, you could spin it one direction until it hits that bump and stops moving. The whole bottom perch is like a spiral design to accommodate the spring so it has to start with a "cliff" or dropoff somewhere. And that's where the end of the spring needs to sit. If I recall correctly it's usually on the rear side of the perch though I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Here ya go, just did this for you. It's actually on the front side of the perch on the passenger side and the rear side of the perch on the drivers side. See how the end of the coil sits in there? This is passenger side front shot, much easier to take a pic of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts