Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my 08 JK for a couple weeks now and I was on the highway and the whole thing starting wobbling when I was in fourth going about 50. It felt like all of the tires became loose. I pulled off the highway and everything was fine. Later on in the day I was at a stoplight. The light turned green, I accelerated and there was a loud bang and it seemed like I had stalled out...but the car was still on. I was in first feathering it but not moving, RPMs were responding but could not get her to move. Turned the car on and off and it fixed the issue. Took it to the dealership, they realigned the wheels and said the transmission is fine. Both issues are still happening though. Any ideas?

Sorry if anything is vague, I am not too well versed in car terminology but I have been driving stick for a couple years now and I am fairly certain is has nothing to with the way I change gears or anything like that.

ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
So I have had my 08 JK for a couple weeks now and I was on the highway and the whole thing starting wobbling when I was in fourth going about 50. It felt like all of the tires became loose. I pulled off the highway and everything was fine. Later on in the day I was at a stoplight. The light turned green, I accelerated and there was a loud bang and it seemed like I had stalled out...but the car was still on. I was in first feathering it but not moving, RPMs were responding but could not get her to move. Turned the car on and off and it fixed the issue. Took it to the dealership, they realigned the wheels and said the transmission is fine. Both issues are still happening though. Any ideas?

Sorry if anything is vague, I am not too well versed in car terminology but I have been driving stick for a couple years now and I am fairly certain is has nothing to with the way I change gears or anything like that.
I'm assuming the Jeep is out of warranty being that it's an '08. You might be better off taking to a mechanic that knows Jeeps or someone you know and trust. Dealerships are notoriously expensive for service.

Have you been able to recreate either issue you're having? Did it throw any codes? We may be able to narrow it down with some more info. Good Luck!

-Ryan

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was the transmission as well but the mechanics at the dealership said transmission is fine. I am heading back there tomorrow. The issue is entirely intermittent and as far as I can tell nothing in particular causes it to happen. Jumping out of gear seems like the most likely cause.

Registered
Yep, it popped out of gear on you, most likely because you didn't get it fully engaged. I'm guessing your first gear has a pretty noticeable "half-way" notch. If you're not paying attention and stop at that notch, it'll pop out of gear when you engage the clutch and depending on how much gas you're giving it when it happens, it can be quite loud and startling. It's happened to me a few times. Just need to be sure you get it all the way in gear after coming to a stop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts