Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. In May, I went to the coal mountain spring jeep jamboree, and had no problems day 1.

day 2, as soon as I put it in 4 wheel drive in the morning, I noticed a loud grinding sound when making left and right turns on the trail. Made it through the whole day without any issues other than being noisy.

I get home, and the sound is gone, so I just assumed it was a rock that got stuck, or something, and worked itself loose, and never thought about it again.

Yesterday, at like 4pm, I put it in 4wd for the first time since the jamboree in may, and the grinding sound is back. Which was stupid on my part, for not checking it sooner. Because now, I am supposed to leave today for the coal mountain summer jeep jamboree.

So to try to get a quick diagnosis, I went to my local shop, and had them check out the u joints, because I assumed that would be the issue. They did a quick diagnosis, played with the u joints, to see if they had any play, and he said the u joints seemed fine. it is a 2017 jku with only 23,000 miles on it, so even after wheeling it a couple of times, I thought they might be ok.

But now, since it does not appear to be the u joints, what else could it be? and since I am supposed to leave to go wheeling today, and don't have time to get a full diagnosis, am I crazy to go wheeling in it??? I do the blue / moderate trails.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
What did you local shop think was causing the noise?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
^^^^ That?

Four wheel drive in general hates to turn. And assuming you are only engaging 4wd on surface with enough slip aka not pavement. Is it also making noise in 2wd?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
And PS I would not wheel it until you identify the problem. A little noise now may become a much bigger issue in the trail.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
^^^^ That?

Four wheel drive in general hates to turn. And assuming you are only engaging 4wd on surface with enough slip aka not pavement. Is it also making noise in 2wd?

The one shop I stopped at, when he heard it, he immediately said u-joint, but didn't get out to play around with it to see if anything seemed loose / had play.

So I took it to another shop, and that is the shop where the guy played around with the u-joints, and said they seemed fine. They didn't have another opinion. They unfortunately are not the strongest shop in the world, good for a basic oil change, tire rotation, etc. but not good for the more complex stuff. They just happened to be convenient, so I figured I would just ask them.

I tried to get an appointment at the dealer today, but couldn't get in unfortunately.

It is not making the noise in 2wd. That is why I thought it was a rock that dislodged, once I got home from my last wheeling trip, I never heard it again. It never dawned on me to put it in 4wd again to see if it was a 4wd only issue. I know better know, but unfortunately, not timely enough to try to get it looked at / get it addressed. I am supposed to leave for the jamboree in 5 hours.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Based on your five hour deadline, let shop 1 replace the U Joints if you don't have the time to do so. Pretty easy fix if that is what they think it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a similar issue a month or so ago. I just got my 2010 JKU and tested it in 4wd with the owner before buying it and took it on some trails and all seemed good. A week or so after buying it I put it in 4wd to get over a curb and drive through a field and when I came to park I had to turn sharp right and I heard a loud clanking or grinding noise. It only happened the twice doing the same thing, parking turning sharp to pull into a spot while in 4wd. It makes no noise when in 2wd, I have not messed with it since since I have had no need for 4wd since. I have been meaning to go out a test it to see if it still does it just have not yet. Wonder what you find out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a similar issue a month or so ago. I just got my 2010 JKU and tested it in 4wd with the owner before buying it and took it on some trails and all seemed good. A week or so after buying it I put it in 4wd to get over a curb and drive through a field and when I came to park I had to turn sharp right and I heard a loud clanking or grinding noise. It only happened the twice doing the same thing, parking turning sharp to pull into a spot while in 4wd. It makes no noise when in 2wd, I have not messed with it since since I have had no need for 4wd since. I have been meaning to go out a test it to see if it still does it just have not yet. Wonder what you find out.

yea, I know that when you make a tight turn in 4wd, you will get some clunking and craziness, but this is happening even when making what many call a "sweeping" turn, so let's say if I am hold my hands at 10-2 like they teach you in driving school, it happens even if I am only making a 12-4, 1-5, 30-45 degree turn. These are relatively soft turns where I am still getting this grinding sound.

Unfortunately, my 5 hour window frame is now down to an hour or so. I am going to go and hope for the best. I have a friend going who already paid, and I am all paid for, so would suck to cancel now.

I will let you know how I do. keep your fingers crossed for me.

Reactions: efiguero

·
Registered
765 Posts
Also always check for dust shield interference with the rotor. Common to have one bend just a wee bit cause a grinding noise when turning. Easy fix.

·
Registered
409 Posts
When I had a bad u-joint replaced in June it made the Jeep feel like it was stuck in 4wd. No grinding, but caused the wheel hop and stickiness we all associate with 4 wheel on pavement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also always check for dust shield interference with the rotor. Common to have one bend just a wee bit cause a grinding noise when turning. Easy fix.

This is good info! I have had that issue in the past.
Easy fix, I removed the dust shield .
No issues or ill effects so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
When I first had my TJ, I had this issue. It ONLY rubbed when making hard left hand turns. And when it made the noise it was OMFG what the hell is that, kind of loud.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, for those of you who have given feedback, or have just been following along, I promised to close the loop, so here I am.

So, I survived my wheeling trip as you can see. As we were wheeling on Friday, the woman in the wrangler right behind me heard my obscene noise, and came up to me and said she had the same sound, and it turned out to be her CV boot, CV Joint. So, I of course googled it, and I had to agree with her, the sound I had sounded EXACTLY like the ones people had put videos of up on line.

The fear of destroying my jeep made me wimp out one one trail, taking an easier path on one trail than the harder line. And to me, that was not acceptable, so at lunch that day, I asked one of the trail guides if there was anyone around to help me out in that area, and he recommended a shop where the guy stays really late on jamboree weekends to help people who damaged their jeeps day 1, so they can get out there day 2.

So I called him up, he said come on by, and he worked on my jeep from 7pm to 9pm Friday night, and had me back on the trail Saturday, with no more clicking / grinding noise. It was exactly what she told me it would be, my cv boot was shredded, and CV joint was a mess.

Good as new now.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well done!

·
Registered
319 Posts
When I had a bad u-joint replaced in June it made the Jeep feel like it was stuck in 4wd. No grinding, but caused the wheel hop and stickiness we all associate with 4 wheel on pavement.
Here's a head scratcher.

I had my axle u-joints replaced a couple of years ago. Back in June I was on a road trip through Colorado and Utah from Ontario, Canada. After a few hours of playing around on some easy/moderate trails in Ouray in 4LO one afternoon, and then driving to Moab and doing some very easy stuff the second day (a few tight turns in 4LO on some steep rutted forest roads), my jeep developed what felt like a seized up axle u-joint the following morning. The steering was tight, and "notchy" when turning at slow speeds. We drove around all day with the steering feeling off, and me being a worrier, I worried and it definitely put a damper on the day. The next morning I jacked up the front wheels and sure enough, the driver side front tire was getting caught up at one spot when spinning the tire, almost as if the u-joint was seized. It was inconsistent, though as dropping it, jacking it up again and trying again resulted in no issues. Nothing else appeared to be rubbing. Because I was so far from home, I still wanted to get it looked at ASAP. We packed up camp early and headed into Moab to find someone to have a look at it. After talking to some locals, we took it out to a shop on the south end of town. He looked over the front end for about 20 minutes (the issue came up again inconsistently when he spun the tires) but he determined that he didn't think it was an axle u-joint, and said he'd feel completely comfortable continuing on to western Utah. Well, the next day and every day since the notchy steering feeling has not returned and the Jeep drives completely normal. With that said, I haven't had it in 4LO since that day in Moab. Is it possible I just tweaked a needle bearing inside the u-joint while in 4LO, and it kind of worked itself loose again? I've been meaning to come to the forum for a second opinion on this...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts