Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was leaving work today and noticed my 93 YJ was making a whining squealing noise in 3rd an 4th gear at 2K+ RPM's only. I couldn't tell where it was coming from but maybe the back of the engine. It started out soft but got louder as RPMs increased to the point of "oh sh**" what is this!? So I pulled over to check some things and got back on the road. Well the noise stopped but an Hr later it came back so I drove it to the shop. Go figure, they couldn't replicate it so now I don't know what to think? Originally I thought maybe a TO bearing but now I'm not so sure since the noise is completely gone for now. It definitely was not a belt. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
rear end whine is the first thing that comes to mind. If your pinion berring is bad it would make that noise

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
d5string said:
rear end whine is the first thing that comes to mind. If your pinion berring is bad it would make that noise
Would it be intermittent?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Would it be intermittent?
Yeah my work van does it. it gets louder when I have been running it for a long drive, and sometimes I can't hear it in between service calls on short distances. When it does make noise, it only does it when I am on the gas. When I let off it get quiet. My wifes Jeep does it too, and I haven't had a chance to swap puit the rear axle yet, but I have one here

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Sounds like the TO bearing to me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. It didnt make any noise at all today. I'm still not sure about it being a bearing though. From my knowledge normally once a bearing gets a flat spot, the noise/problem is constant. Who knows, perhaps an axle. Just sucks cause now I'm worried about driving it outta town

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
TO bearing only turns when the clutch is pressed in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts