Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo... I just got a broken bolt out of the cylinder head and I put my engine back together in about 8 hours with breaks of course, but when I finally finished and started up the jeep the knocking was still there. I checked the oil numerous times to see if the oil was low but the reading said it was fine. I drove it around a little bit to see if it got worse... it did.... I was going about 35 and the jeep shut off completely... I threw it in N and put my caution lights on while I cruised trying to find somewhere to pull off to. Boy, without power steering... it's a challenge to turn. I got out checked the oil because the check oil light was flashing but the oil was fine. Im beginning to think my rocker arms are f***** (pardon my french) but they are seriously making some noise... Ill post a video in a new thread so feel free to throw some thoughts and comments.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
I'm a$$uming you removed the heads, or that head? Did everything go back together correctly? Is something loose and slapping around?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a$$uming you removed the heads, or that head? Did everything go back together correctly? Is something loose and slapping around?
I removed the whole top part of the engine and put it back in. Everything was check before moving onto the next step.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
did you have oil pressure?

I wouldnt drive it until you know for sure what the problem is

I forget, do we even have an oil pressure gauge?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I dont think the JK has a gauge. And for sure not driving it hahaha.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone now how to make a video go onto here from windows movie player?

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
I'd remove the oil pressure sending unit and get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and get some readings and post them as well. Cold oil pressure, and hot oil pressure, a shop manual or Google search will give you the readings, rpms etc.

It just seems odd that this happened just after you worked on that head. Back in the day I'd run the engine briefly with the valve cover off, its a bit messy if you don't have oil deflector clips but I'd know real fast which is the offending part.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd remove the oil pressure sending unit and get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and get some readings and post them as well. Cold oil pressure, and hot oil pressure, a shop manual or Google search will give you the readings, rpms etc.

It just seems odd that this happened just after you worked on that head. Back in the day I'd run the engine briefly with the valve cover off, its a bit messy if you don't have oil deflector clips but I'd know real fast which is the offending part.
Well the reason I took apart the engine in the first place was due to this knocking noise but it has gotten worse. I checked the push rods and lifters (they looked fine) but haven't checked the rocker arms. I am trying to put the video up but cant move the file from windows media player to a file that can be uploaded on the forum.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I am thinking now that I actually have Piston Slap and nothing wrong with the rocker arms.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If it's loud it's not likely piston slap. It's probably rod knock. Does the engine still turn over? Hoping you didn't lock it up.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Is this a 3.8L ?????? If so, Then it may have run LOW on oil at some time and it's the Rods starting to Talk back to you...
If it is a 3.8L . too bad you didn't put a set of rings in it while you had it down....
3.8L are known to spin rod bearings....As I understand this problem there is no register notches cut in the rods to retain the shell bearings..
Replacing the production connecting rods with MOPAR replacements is supposed to correct this...Good luck !! "BH"

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Mine does,
Its on the driver information center. I have to scroll through it with the steering wheel buttons to find it.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Mine does,
Its on the driver information center. I have to scroll through it with the steering wheel buttons to find it.
yea thats just the 10A

·
Registered
777 Posts
yea thats just the 10A
Anything with the upgraded EVIC has this available.

On the earlier comment regarnding checking with a real guage....I wouldn't recommend removing the factory sensor completely if you plan to run the motor. If just cranking that's ok. The engine computer will be looking for a signal there. You can add a T if there's room though and run both if you plan to try to run it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had the knock as well. 2007 3.8ltr. Only after the engine was up to operating temp would you hear it. Most noticeable at idle. Warranty covered a new rocker arm assy on the pass side. Noise went away for 5 months or so and is now back. Going to make another appointment soon. Covered under the lifetime warranty. And what a fine warranty it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts