Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this in an earlier thread but it wasnt the main point, and its droving me mad soo i think it deserves its own thread. When starting from a stop i get a loud pop. Not on bumps just from start. It has a 4 inch lift with lower control arms (not adjustable). It also has cam bolts for the sye kit. All bushings are changed, i thought its the trackbar so i put in a angled bracket ad its still there. Axle shafts seemfine because when i do toght turns no sound. Could it be my rear brake pads? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump up, i woild really like some help on this. I have trackig this thing a long time now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump up top, rely would like some sugestions to this prob. Tracking it a long time now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump up top, rely would like some sugestions to this prob. Tracking it a long time now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear, but its strange i cant pinpoint where from the rear.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Check the trans and tcase mount it could be worn out so it jumps when power is transferred through it. Or I read in another thread to use a track bar with hemi joints

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think it is suspension arms/bushings.
Try accelerating from a stop and without putting on the brakes roll to a stop. Put it in neutral if you have to. Then start up without using the brakes and see if there is a pop.

When you stop you put a strain on the rear axle that will point the pinion downward. When you startup after that, if the bushings are worn on the suspension arms, the pinion will try to rotate up. You could also look at the pinion and see if it moves when someone trys to rock forward and backward with the brakes on.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trans mount changed a week ago. All bushings new in the rear. That why iam thinking it might be the brakes. The sound is as if something is hitting the drum. Like when hitting am empty pot.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was movement of the whole axle a month ago, i realised that control arm bushings where bad so i thought that was making the pop, changed them. The upper control arm same thng changed it. Thought its the trans mount, changed it. Thought its tracbar ecause of the angle, got the braclet and changed bushings, same thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same noise on acceleration after my 4" lift.
I traced it to the rear springs popping in the perch. I rotated each one 180 degrees and the popping has been gone for over a year.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lunatic Fringe said:
I had the same noise on acceleration after my 4" lift.
I traced it to the rear springs popping in the perch. I rotated each one 180 degrees and the popping has been gone for over a year.
Now thats something new to me. I will give it a look today. Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adjusted brakes, rotated springs rechecked bushings and still there:( ran out of ideas.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They say its where the tires are, soo am guesing either brakes o axle shafs? But what could be bad in the shafts that make one pop and no popping on tight turns?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had an issue with a weird noise in the rear, although it wasn't a clunk or a real loud bang. It was a hollow sound like you describe. Turns out it was just my exhaust hitting the right rear shock.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cixpak88 said:
I had an issue with a weird noise in the rear, although it wasn't a clunk or a real loud bang. It was a hollow sound like you describe. Turns out it was just my exhaust hitting the right rear shock.
I wish it was that simple. Can figure it ou and i dont want to open up my rear end for that now.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If you have a large, smooth, flat surface and a driver you trust....

...lie on a creeper under the back of the rig. Hold on to frame/bumper and roll with the vehicle while driver moves forward/creates the pop so you can pinpoint location.

Of course, there are some risks inherent to this method... ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
TJ-Q8 said:
I wish it was that simple. Can figure it ou and i dont want to open up my rear end for that now.
You mentioned you put in a trackbar bracket and replaced all bushings. Does this include the trackbar bushings? My trackbar was a bit loose and banging. Just had to tighten it up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lynn said:
If you have a large, smooth, flat surface and a driver you trust....

...lie on a creeper under the back of the rig. Hold on to frame/bumper and roll with the vehicle while driver moves forward/creates the pop so you can pinpoint location.

Of course, there are some risks inherent to this method... ;)
Actually we tried that around a month ago and the guy undr said it came from above the fuel tank, but there us nothing up there, thats when i replaced trackbar bushings.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts